Search

Avignon region

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avignon region

Hi there,
For part of our trip in a few weeks, we are spending a week in Rochefort du Gard close to Avignon. We've previously stayed in Goult, Bonnieux and Isle Sur La Sorgue but were priced out of the accommodation market in those areas this time.
We are therefore somewhat familiar with the broader area but would love recommendations of can't miss things to do in the slightly more easterly area.
We've been to Pont Du Gard but will definitely go again and we plan to visit the market in Uzes. A couple of our group plan to cycle Mount Ventoux and we'll revisit the Sunday market in Isle Sur La Sorgue.
We'd love to do a wine tasting if any one has recommendations of a good place to do this- we previously did a lovely one in Gigondas. We don't love just rocking up to a winery, wandering in and asking to taste with the assumption that we will buy. We're a little shy, so would prefer an organized wine tasting that you pay for, perhaps with a lunch or cheese etc? I know they are probably not as authentic but I just feel uncomfortable going in to all the little places with degustation advertised and being the only one there and taking up the time of the producer ( I know it's silly). We hired a driver to take us to Chateauneuf Du pape a number of years ago. It was enjoyable but we were the only ones in some of the places we visited and felt obliged to buy the wines everywhere we went!!! ( Terrible I know !!!). I'm looking for the kind of experience that I have previously had in South Africa. It's been about 8 years since I've been to France so I am not sure if things have changed in that regard..

We have some friends visiting from Paris for a few days, so would also love a restaurant recommendation in the area that would suit a small group. Doesn't necessarily have to be fancy but a nice vibe and decent food and wine would be great.
Anyone know anything about Rochefort du Gard? Particularly in regard to eateries. There is very little info available on line.

Last request, any wild water swimming spots in the area that you could recommend??

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry if I rambled a bit!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 11:16 AM

One place that might interest you is Chateau la Coste. It is about an hour away from you nearer to Aix. It is an organic vineyard but also a point of destination for its sculpture park with works of art and architecture by people like Tadao Ando, Louise Bourgeois, Bob Dylan, Frank Gehry, Andy Goldsworthy, Oscar Niemeyer, Jean Nouvel, Renzo Piano. It also has two restaurants of note. And they also book wine tastings so maybe that would also interest you. We are going this November, so I can't give you firsthand feedback yet, but I will report back.

https://chateau-la-coste.com/en/

https://us.france.fr/en/provence/art...cture-provence
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 12:35 PM

Hi CailinDeas - I was just in Provence for the month of June and I found some really great swimming spots! The most unusual was the Cascades du Sautadet, near La Roque-sur-Cèze. Really amazing. There are little waterfalls and various little swimming holes and people sunbathing on the rocks. I visited on a hot weekend so there were quite a few locals there. (It didn't seem there were any tourists there except for me!) But even then it was not super crowded, and I imagine a visit mid-week would be pretty low-key. Also it should be noted there is a big sign on the way in that it is a dangerous spot and swimming is forbidden (it says something like 31 people have died there since 1960!), but as I said there were lots of families there, and even the little ones were getting in. It was really fun! I've never had so many fish nibbling at my toes.

Another spot that you might already know about (since you've stayed at Isle-sur-la-Sorgue) is the nearby Le Partage des Eaux, which is within walking distance from the town and there's parking there as well. It's a great spot for swimming and a picnic, and there's even a relaxed little restaurant there where you could grab a snack if you don't want to bring your own food. Also there's of course swimming at the Pont du Gard, which makes for a memorable day.

A winery that I love in that area is Campuget, near the town of Manduel (and the Nimes TGV station). The people there are so friendly, and the wine is great! Also they have recently opened up a restaurant there that's open a few nights a week.

As for a restaurant recommendation, I am no foodie but I have been to Le Chateau des Alpilles near Saint-Remy two times. Each time the food was really wonderful, and the setting is just the PERFECT Provence spot, in my opinion. Google it! It really looks like that! The service was great, food lovely. If you can reserve a table outside in that lovely courtyard, so much the better.

Hope this helps. Bon Voyage!
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the tips and info.. There is plenty of food for thought there. We'll definitely check out some of your suggestions and let you know how we got on.
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 09:37 AM

That is just a village and doesn't really have hardly any restaurants at all. Definitely nothing fancy, if you mean right in the village.

Here is one
https://www.facebook.com/xlcaferesta...tdaniel/photos

plus a pizza place near the Mairie. I think that's it
https://www.alatourdepizz30.fr/
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 09:51 AM

I think this is the closest real restaurant to that village, unless you go all the way into Avignon or Villeneuve-les-Avignon. You'd have to check about groups.

https://www.latonnelle-restaurant.fr/