Avignon day trips

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Avignon day trips

If you had three days (two nights) in Avignon and were to rent a car for two of those days, where would you go? We'll have kids with us and will have just come off a week in Paris and will be craving some countryside. Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM

I was an olser woman traveling alone one year but even I enjoyed riding the beautiful carosel in
avignon. The Oche quarries in Roussillon, kids seem to like by what I observed but bring shoes that you don't car about for that site. A trip to the Camargur to see the pink flamingoes and white horses and black bulls. If you have binoculars you can stand up on the lookout platforms they have along the roads.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Definitely the Camargue, as well as Les Baux, St-Rémy, Arles, the Pont du Gard, Uzès.....
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll keep checking back for others' suggestions and I'm sure I'll have questions as I research those already given!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:17 PM

While we were staying in Arles we saw posters for the pony safaris out to the Camargue...they go in jeeps to see the horses and flamingo colonies..we didn't have time to do one but have always said we would on a return trip...I would think your kids would really enjoy that...
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM

There's also alot of horse rentals for those who like to horse ride and bird watching.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

If my daughter sees a horse it'll all be over...

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

One more question. We'll go on to Barcelona after Avignon. For travel on a Sunday it looks like we have to get over to Montpellier (trains from Avignon too late to catch the Barcelona train on Sun) - so I've booked a room near the train station in Montpellier after we leave Avigonon. I'd planned on training from Avignon to Montpellier in the evening after turning our rental car in... I suppose, instead, we could drive to Montpellier and drop off our rental there. Is the drive worth it or shall I stick to my original plan with the train (Which would drop us off very close to our Montpellier hotel).... thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:38 AM

When are you going? We were in Nimes for a bullfighting festival in early May. Even if you don't like the bullfighting (and if your daughter is a horse nut, then don't go), the festival itself was awesome! So much food and music and sangria. We had a blast. I think that whole area has festivals in spring, so look those up.

Gordes is an amazing perched hillside town. We liked it a lot. The Haribo candy factory is somewhere near Uzes I believe. We drove by it, but didn't stop.

I bought a driving tour tape that sent us to some great places. Of course our car didn't have a tape player, so we weren't quite sure what we were seeing, but the map was good! And the tour starts in Avignon, so it would be perfect for you.

http://www.hearsajourney.com/tours.htm

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

We'll be there the weekend of April 1...soon! Thanks for the tips!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

any more?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:20 PM
AR

The central drop off point for most of the rental companies in Montpellier is the railway station anyway, so both the car and train will drop you off at the same place - and just near your hotel.
Driving in Montpellier isn't the easiest place I've ever driven in France, though neither is it the worst. The road from Avignon is a good and fast one and all things considered I would keep the car until Montpellier.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:21 PM
AR

Oh, and another vote for Arles.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:22 AM

Why don't you visit the Camargue and then head from there directly over to Montpellier? from Aigues-Mortes (which is a fantastic place to visit and the kids will love the walk along the ramparts), you are practically in Montpellier already. this will save you one major backtracking.

-Kevin