Average hotel cost in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi <BR><BR>Am planning a trip for this July and wondered how much we shodl budget for hotels. We like to stay in centrally situated moderate - up-market places with pools.<BR><BR>thanks
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 07:45 AM

This is a very subjective topic, but I'll give it a go. Normally, you will pay more for centrally located hotels. However, in Europe, I wouldn't expect many hotels to have pools, except for the high end or chain type hotels -- not moderately priced hotels. You may find one occasionly, but I wouldn't think it would be the norm.<BR><BR>On our trip to Europe last year, we averaged about $130 per night. Several of the hotels were under $100 and several were over. Our most expensive hotel was The Balances in Lucerne where we stayed for 2 nights at $190 per night. Our least expensive was at the Roter Hahn in Rothenburg at $78 per night. All of the hotels were very centrally located and were 3* except for the 4* Balances and Ruben Hotel in London. I think only 1 or 2 of these properties had pools as this was not something we were interested in.<BR><BR>Hope this has helped a little.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:38 AM

If you just want a very broad estimate because you have no idea at all and need to know if you can afford a trip, I might say $150-$200. Obviously, it depends on the city and country. <BR><BR>I think you can find moderate hotels with pools, just NOT in centers of big cities, that is the key thing. I've stayed in modest hotels with pools in resort or warmer climates. In many large cities, you'll have to either stay at places like the Ritz in Paris or on the edges or suburbs to get a pool. However, I stayed at a lovely country inn in Provence with a pool and it was less than 100 euro per night.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 09:15 AM

I agree with the above.<BR>Hotels with pools are a rarity in large cities like London, Paris, Rome, even in smaller cities but high-real estate value places like Venice.<BR>In L, P, and R, you'll be paying several hundred (up to 500) euro per night for those establishments. They are the top luxury hotels.<BR>In Venice I think only the Cipriani has a pool, same price range. However, if you stay on the Lido, the hotels there give you access to the beach.<BR><BR>Can you say what places you are planning to visit? Tourism may depend on the world political situation, but many popular hotels fill up months in advance usually, and Europeans themselves will still be taking their vacations I assume.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:31 PM
rex

You may not be familiar with how to find your previous posts - - and thus, that's the reason for your two posts (the other with slightly more meaningful wording; at least it mentions Italy!) with essentially the same question. The adjective &quot;moderate&quot; was non-specific enough on that OTHER post - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34407831 - - the even braoder range of &quot;moderate - up-market&quot; means that literally almost any number could be used to answer your question.<BR><BR>Whether this question is &quot;at the top&quot; or not when you read, you can select all the questions you have asked (since registration began on Jan 27 of this year) by clicking on your own name, anywhere it is &quot;in blue&quot; and underlined.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks - I got confused with the headings and country boxes<BR><BR>