Cheap Hotel Rates Europe

Search

Cheap Hotel Rates Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Hotel Rates Europe

Has anyone any good suggestions for the best place to find cheap hotel rates for Europe or are they all much the same.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM
ira

Hi Lucy,

Where are you going? Some countries have sites that are superior to others.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:26 AM

Try eurocheapo.com

EuraHo, i mean EuroHo, LucyHo

&gt
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:26 AM
rex

Two ways of looking at this question:

a) hotels with low rates most or all of the time, but still worth considering (as opposed to inferior hotels or those in bad locations which are often priced low also) - - a good source for (relatively more) trusted low-cost properties is www.eurocheapo.com

or

b) more high-priced hotels with bargain offerings; this seems to be more hit and miss, with no one good web source that I know - - although individual cities or regions may have such (London, Amsterdam, for example, I think). There continue to be reports of sporadically getting very good (and surprise) deals from priceline.com - - and I think it has some "work-alike" competitors.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:20 PM

What I typically do is narrow my search down to less than 10 hotels I think I'd really like to stay in, basically broken down the way Rex did it:

* One or two of the "best" hotels in the city - ultra luxury expensive hotels (almost always historic) that I would never pay full price for, but include just on the off chance that I find an absolutely amazing deal (this hasn't happened yet, but I still hold out hope . . . )

* A handful of hotels whose average price seems to be about $50 - $150 USD per night above my budget

* A handful of hotels under US $100 that come highly recommended

(I find these hotels by researching on Fodors - both on the forums and on their hotel guide & tripadvisor.com, then when I've narrowed a little more, just search for them on google to see if there are more reviews that can help me narrow to my final list).

Finally, I just go hotel by hotel and type the name of the hotel and "discount" in google, and see where I can find the best deal.

I consider it a good deal when I find that the vast majority of websites list the price for the type of room I want at $50 - $100 over my budget, then I find ONE site that lists it at or below my budget.

I also try laterooms.com and lastminute.com, but so far haven't found any unbeatable deals with them.

Good luck!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Once you have narrowed down your choices, you can contact the hotel front desk directly via email or fax, to ask availability and rates. Sometimes the rates are equal and I feel confident working directly with them rather than thru a booking service.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Your question is really too general to answer. As one other asked, where do you intend to go? If you are completely open to go wherever it's cheapest, then I suggest Bulgaria. It's a pretty country, safe as anywhere else in Europe, and not overrun by visitors. And for your purposes, it will provide cheap hotel rates.

Second choices for "cheap" would be non-urban areas of Poland, the Baltics, and Hungary. Good luck.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Not necessarily the best place, but a very good place we used last year, already mentioned on this thread: eurocheapo.com. On it, we found a wonderful, <i>relatively&lt;/i} inexpensive locanda in Venice. </i>