Autoeurope vs Avis 5 day car rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read on this site that autoeurope offers the cheapest rates however, when I checked AVIS for rates it was about $100 cheaper. Is this because fees or taxes or insurance is not included. I can't seem to find anything that specifies what or if there are reasons for the difference. Could it just be that Avis has a better rate from Marseille airport for 5 days at the end of May. Also, are there additional fees from the airport compared to pick up elsewhere.

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:18 AM
ira

Hi trav,

Autoeurope says that they will match the lowest price on an equivalent rental.

Call them and see if they will meet the Avis price. If they can't, they will tell you what is not included in the Avis rate.

There is usually an additional charge for airport pickup.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Check too for included insurance, taxes, and extra driver expense. I failed to ask one year in Austria wih Avis and got a $25.00 per day surprise because of an extra driver.

Make sure of the includes however!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:36 AM

I too received a better rate from Avis on a France rental..everything was equal and Avis was about $125.00 cheaper. Autoeurope WOULD NOT match the rate when I called. But call them anyway and see what they say..just check that all coverages are the same first.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:41 AM

My AVIS rate for rental for trip beginning next week was also cheaper than Autoeurope. I have rented from AVIS for my last 4 trips to France (each for periods of 10 to 14 days), and have been extremely happy with the cars and service, and locations for pick up and drop off (the train stations). I don't ever buy the extra insurance, as my credit card covers, and besides that, I now buy a "travel insurance" policy (mainly for medical protection, but it also covers car rentals). I know most people on here swear by Autoeurope, but I love AVIS!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Wierdly, I've always found Autoeurope expensive - am I doing something wrong? When I compare prices on my regular Italy rental with the ryanair/hertz deal, autoeurope is always almost double.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Kate - check to be sure you are comparing exactly the same fees and insurance. AE includes them in the quote and some others don't include them until then end. I've used AE several times and have found them to be a good value and have had good service.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Thanks cis2paris, I realise ryanair/hertz add charges on top, but I still find them much much cheaper even after this. Is it because I'm only renting for 2-3 days at a time? Is autoeurope better for longer rentals?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:39 AM
ira

Hmmm.

I just compared my car rental from Autoeurope to the same car, same pickup/dropoff at Avis.

$607 from Avis.
$405 from AE.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:51 AM
rex

I have had at least one experience with Hertz and Avis each, when AE said that the rate I was offered was a promotion that they could not match.

It is one reason tht I generally always include travelocity as a place that a prospective renter should check.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
I recheck and the cost now about $263 for Avis and $271 for AE. Do you think that it is necessary to get the extra insurance. My sister rented a car and was hit by a uninsured driver and her credit car made them pay the loss to the car rental company for the days it was in the shop. Which credit cards will cover anything? Anyone know by experience?
Also AE is offering free cell phone rental (with $35 shipping fee for cell phone) and free upgrade until April 30 booking. Do you think that it is better to go with AE then for the upgrade at least.
What is the airport additional fee. Is there an additional driver fee with AE?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:17 AM

I have an Auto Europe rental for the last half of September and I just check Avis for a comparison and it could not compare...they didn't even have an automatic transmission......
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM

I think some countries require that you pay for the comprehensive insurance. I know I had to pay it in Italy but I'm not sure about France. I just rented an Alfa Romeo for 8 days at a cost of $348 from AE. There was a promotion going to get a free upgrade, which is how I got the Alfa Romeo. I compared the cost of the basic rental of the small compact to a couple of the other agencies (I think Hertz and Avis, but not positive) and their costs were both higher. I'm not sure if it was because of the time frame or what, but they were higher. For me, the upgrade was worth it. We went from a 4 door Smart Car to a 4 door/hatch Alfa Romeo. (An aside - the people I traveled with rented a Ford Fiesta 4 door through their travel agent and paid more than $300 than I did for their car!). Go for the upgrade, it is worth it.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:01 PM

I typed:
"paid more than $300 than I did"
I meant:
"paid more than $300 more than I did".