Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there preferred rental car companies to use thru autoeurope?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just rang Autoeurope to find out whether they would match Kemwel's online offer of a Fiat punto with autoeuropa.
The representative at Autoeurope mentioned that he preferred dealing with europcar rather than autoeuropa due to problems with not getting car you want, etc.
I asked if they would match zero deductible offered for europcar by kemwell.
He said they (autoeurope.com) couldnt match this as europcar have that deal with Kemwel and not with them. They only offer zero deductible for auto europa.
Now, the reason I am asking, is I want to avoid any surprises and the autoeurope agent's comments about autoeuropa have made me think.
I have noticed that many favour dealing with autoeurope.com and even though kemwell is a sister co. Will I get the same customer service?
Also, is booking an autoeuropa car thru either co. risky?
(By the way Kemwell is cheaper for an autoeuropa car too.)
Since we are picking car up in May, there is no upgrade thru autoeurop.com anyway. Kemwell aren't offering upgrades for Italy at the moment either.
Autoeuropa also offer personal insurance as an extra. Is this good?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I rented a car through Europe by Car which served as the broker for Thrifty. I found the people at Europe by Car to be very nice, easy to work with and I was pleased with my reservation which ended up getting me a free upgrade to a SMART car (which I loved driving in Italy).

The rates were competitve through the broker, but my biggest recommendation is to go ahead and pay for one day more than you think you'll need because if you are even an hour late, you pay the highest price for a one day rental at the car agency...which was OUTRAGEOUS...and I had no recourse.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:58 PM

I have found that I need to obtain at least 4 prices to get a good comparison.
AutoEurope for Switzerland and Austria has consistently given me the better prices save one summer when I got a good deal from Europcar.

Last year in Interlaken my best deal was through AutoEurope and I rented from Hertz. I find both Hertz and Avis to be good companies to deal with.

My main gripe with Avis is their charge for an extra driver. Hertz was not cheap either. Last summer, we only signed up one driver. That can be risky if the only authorized driver becomes unable to drive for some reason.

When you view the final contract, look carefully at the insurance coverages provided. I have found that Autoeurope often offers a package rate that includes some insurance, both liability and collision.

I know, my credit card is supposed to cover collision damage. My reaction is that if the extra charge is minimal, I will be saved the bother and trouble of the claim should I cause the problem.

Last year the Hertz rate with no extra insurance coverage was higher than the AutoEurope rate with some added protection. So my suggestion is to read the small print carefully to see just what your charges are and, more importantly, are not.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi tadaa, thanks for that tip. I have been thinking about doing that, adding an extra day, because autoeurope said the grace period is 50 minutes. I'd be trying to hurry to drop off and that's no fun on a holiday!
Hi brookwood, Thanks for your tips too.I have already got a few quotes from others and autoeurope.com and kemwell seem to be the cheapest, it's just trying to compare them that's difficult.
I am wanting to book with Kemwell and get the autoeuropa deal because of 0 deductible.
Autoeurope.com said that no insurance co. will provide insurance for windscreens, undercarriage,etc, but I have noticed novarentacar provides that (I think) for extra.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:06 AM

AutoEurope and Kemwell are sister companies but in the past I have found that even using the same local agency/supplier in the same location, their fleet choices and prices can vary somewhat.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:27 AM
ira

Hi G,

as noted Kemwell and AutoEurope are associates.

Also check http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/

You will be charged in GBP, but if the exchange rate is favorable, you can often get a better deal.

>...no insurance co. will provide insurance for windscreens, undercarriage,etc, but I have noticed novarentacar provides that (I think) for extra.<

Nova has changed their website, and no longer give full insurance disclosures. However, IIRC, even if you purchase the excess insurance, you are still liable for damage to tires, glass and the undercarriage.

If you will be in a country covered by your credit card insurance plan, I think that that is the best way to go.

Decline the rental company's CDW and let your CC provide you with zero deductible insurance.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Have you gotten a quote from www.gemut.com? They have discounted rates thru AutoEurope.

The only problem with Ira's recommendation to pay in Pounds is that some credit card companies will charge you a 1-3% foreign exchange fee.

If the price from gemut.com works for you, you pay in US$ and can cancel with no fee.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi intrepid1, thanks for your tip.
Hi Ira, I have just tried uk site of autoeurope.com. I am afraid it wasn't favourable to Australian dollars. I don't think my cc will cover italy but I will double check.
I would prefer to pay in australian dollars, but, I have noticed that so far, most quotes have been higher in price or have much higher excesses if there is theft or damage.
My travel insurance policy will cover that, but, I would prefer not to have to bother in the first place.
So if Kemwel and autoeurope are related does that mean I can't get autoeurope to beat their quote? If you get them to beat apples for apples I have noticed that the diff. co.s vary differently in excess payments. I had a good price from driveaway.com.au who use europcar among others and are offering free upgrades for italy, but, the excesses are much higher than autoeurope.com.like 800euro for collision damage and 1300euro for theft. even though my travel insurance would cover this, it probably would mean I would have to pay for it first then try and get it back from travel insurance.
Hi Bettyk
My cc and the ones I have enquired about all charge 2-3% conversion fee. I got excited about autoeurope.com and booked ahead and they had a problem at the time working out whether there was an office in Orvieto still. First they charged me full payment of hire car, then reversed it and charged part payment for Hertz. I am going to complain to customer service as soon as I get time difference right.
I think I will wait before booking again for May.
I sent an email to gemut.com and just have to wait for reply now. Thank you for that.
Autoeurope.com seemed not to favour autoeuropa. They offer personal insurance as well as being cheaper, especially on kemwel.com.
Has anyone had a problem with them?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I used Europe by Car for an automatic rental for next week. I paid 338 US inc. unlimited milage and insurances. I had shopped around and they had the best deal so I went with them.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 06:35 AM

P. S. I declined the CDW as Ira suggested to you and let my Chase sard cover me with no deductable.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM
ira

Hi g,

AutoEurope won't compete with offers from their associates.

I have had good service from AutoEurope.

I have seen many posts here favoring AE and Kemwel, but I can't recall any negatives.

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

I just found out that driveaway.com.au are associated with autoeurope.com too!
Good price using europcar(supposed to be a free upgrade to compact, price was same as compact anyway on autoeurope.com),but, kemwel.com offers zero deductible with autoeuropa car slightly cheaper.

www.gemut.com just quoted me same as autoeurope.com for alfa romeo 147.
just waiting for what the excesses will be.
I rang credit card co. here in Aust.(It has to be a Visa Gold Card). and they said I must take out all the car insurance offered with car to be eligible for rental car excess cover. They said they will cover what the rental co. wont, eg. tyres, etc.
If I decide to get this card, I probably will doublecheck that.
Thanks for your help Ira and laartista.