Austria or Swiss?

Search

Austria or Swiss?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austria or Swiss?

How many of you think Austria is a cheaper but just as nice version as Swiss in terms of natural wonder?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:30 AM

I don't think so.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Not me. Not to say Austria isn't lovely, but not a substitute for Switzerland. Both have their unique places. (are you trying to get us in trouble here?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Oh, the food is much better in Austria, IMHO.... Also, Austria is less crowded and cheaper.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Agree with chtiet; food is much better and the country is beautiful plus it is MUCH cheaper.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Switzerland has ever so much to offer. Having been to many of the different cantons encompassing the French, German, Italian and Romanch sides of Switzerland, I still feel like I have only begun to "know" the country.

Don't miss it.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM

At the risk of being in the line of fire, I have found in my visits that Switzerland seems more "with it" when it comes to providing the facilities with which to explore and to enjoy the Alps.

Let me offer in evidence the network of cable lifts and mountain trains in the vicinity of Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Wengen.

You can go all over, hike all over on a vast network of trails, ride up and down, and see the sights.

Having said that, I must say that my visits to Heiligenblut and to the Ötztal, village of Langenfeld-
Astlehn were most enjoyable.

Moreover in Langenfeld, I rented the most comfortable apartment I have yet found for much less than anything comparable I have seen in Switzerland.
There were lifts with which to gain access to the mountains, but the network was not as extensive.

I think I express my opinion more directly by saying that the place that lures me back is the Berner Oberland.
It is convenient and easy to go there and the facilities are in place to enjoy the visit fully.

Now, cost has not been factored into this statement. I am not sure if I could devise a satisfaction/cost equation that would measure the value received in terms of an index number.

Where I have gone, I have enjoyed.
But the Berner Oberland lures me back like no other mountain area other than Lake O'Hara in BC.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Well I don't have to tell you folks how much I love Switzerland. However, my memories of Austria (St. Gilgen, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Seefeld, Halstatt) are gorgeous, and I am certain that you would not feel deprived there. So I think it would be a good idea to compare costs of accommodations and trains (or petrol), and if the difference is marked, then give Austria the opportunity to show her stuff. J.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Both are wonderful.I would let logistics and cost decide. However, do both in your lifetime.