Search

Audio tapes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Kristin

Audio tapes

I am traveling to Ireland for a month. <BR>Does anyone know of some good audio cassette travel tapes of Irleand.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 02:45 AM
not-the-real-topper

Interesting question, if I say so myself. Sorry I don't have an answer. <BR> <BR>Up!

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 05:10 AM
s.fowler

Did a search in audiobooks on amazon.com. I didn't find anything. Lots' of Bill Bryson and frances Mayes as well as a walkingtour of Paris, but no Ireland

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Mary

Hi Kristin, <BR> <BR>While this isn't exactly a travel tape I did enjoy listening to "Angela's Ashes" which was read by the author, Frank McCourt. <BR> <BR>Mary

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 01:07 PM
JKrisin

Thanks to all who replied. <BR>I have checked Amazon, Borders, and <BR>other book stores.. <BR>I have read Angela's ashes and this <BR>week on Showtime the movie is coming on. <BR>I will try to search somemore.. <BR>Many thanks. <BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Patrick

What am I missing here? There are some very good video cassette travel tapes of Ireland. Why wouldn't you want those? I always thought a picture was worth a thousand words.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 02:31 PM
karen

Patrick, I'm betting that Kristin, like me, has a fairly long commute by car and prefers audio tapes to the radio while she drives. I have no suggestions for travel books, Kristin, but I loved listening to James Joyce on tape. I could never get through "Ulysses" in print, but it was great listening. So was "The Dubliners." Essence of Ireland. Now, does anyone know where/how/if there are books on tape in Italian? Thanks!

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Kristin

Audio Tapes. It is me again. <BR>I have had audio tapes of travel in <BR>Gettysburg, and Monterey, Calif. <BR>These tapes would be used to describe <BR>locations along a route, ie.. The Ring of Kerry without reading as you go. <BR>They are usually quite informative and are great addition to a traveler. <BR>I agree.. a picture is worth a 1000 words, but it difficult to get a video <BR>in a car ;.) <BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Patrick

Duh! Guess I was asleep. I didn't think about the play-tape-while-you-drive idea, was just thinking Kristin meant travel tapes for planning purposes.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Angela

I did a search on "Alphabet street" in their audio books section, and there were only two on Ireland, but I am not sure that these are what you want. <BR>1) "Round Ireland with a fridge" !! by Tony HAWKES (isbn 1856865126). A comic travel guide about a man who hitched around the coast of Ireland with a fridge(!!). As I guess you would say in the US - go figure! (I hope I have grasped the meaning of that phrase, I am guessing it means something like "can you believe/understand that") <BR>2)"44-A Dublin Memoir" by Peter SHERIDAN (isbn 0333902785). An Autobiography on a Dublin family in the 1960's. <BR>These were found eventually on www.alphabetstreet.co.uk (audio book section). They deliver internationally. <BR>Angela

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Angela

ps <BR>I have just found another travel writing audio book on Ireland (from Amazon.co.uk) <BR>"McCarthy's Bar" Pete MCCARTHY (isbn 1840323264. It is about the authors journey around rural Ireland in search of his roots. The genre is travel writing. The "fridge" book I mentioned above was also on Amazon (.co.uk)

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Kristin

Many thanks Angelia. <BR>I am going to checkout the McCarthy Bar <BR>audio. <BR>I appreciate your comments and those who responded. <BR>