2nd Trip to Amsterdam

Feb 15th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Travel Time

2nd Trip to Amsterdam

I will take my second trip to Amsterdam in April with my wife (5 days not counting jet lag day). We would like to take several day trips out of Amsterdam this trip. I have searched this site for day trip information but I still have few questions I am hoping you can help me with. Personaly we usually visit popular sites and and a little off the wall stuff. When we get tired we like to sit at an outdoor cafe and drink beer.

1) Can I expect a visit to Keukenhof Gardens to take up a whole day? Would you recommend taking a tour or go independently by train?

2) Can Delft, Haarlem, and Leiden be seen in one day? I don't want to be really rushed so if you had to drop one city which one would it be?

3) If you could only take a day trip to Brugges would you do it? This will be my fifth trip to Europe and I plan to make several more. However Belgium is not high on the list of places to visit.

4) In what order would you rank these three cities in terms of tourist attractions: Utrecht, Rotterdam, and The Hague?

5) What is a ballpark estimate on the price of train tickets from Amsterdam to these day trip cities?

Please answer as many question as you are able to. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Feb 15th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Sjoerd

1. To enjoy Keukenhof I would spend about 3 hours in the gardens. I recommend renting a bicycle in Haarlem or Leiden and peddling through the bulb fields to De Keukenhof. Altogether this would be a nice (full) day trip.
2. Possible to see these cities in one day, but a better to skip one. Remember that you can buy a return train ticket from Amsterdam to Delft and leave the train and get back on it as often as you like. So if you go to Delft first, you could stop in Leiden on the way back and if you have time left you can go to Haarlem before returning to Amsterdam.
3. Brugge is very nice, but a bit far for a day-trip from Amsterdam. (3 hours one-way by train) Better go there on a seperate trip to Belgium.
4. Depends on what you like. Utrecht is smaller and old, Rotterdam is modern and vibrant, The Hague is distinguished and sleepy. All have interesting museums.
5. for example: return ticket Amsterdam - Delft is NLG 34.50 (US$ 14) 2nd class, NLG 53.50 (US$ 22) 1st class. see: www.ns.nl
Have a nice trip!

Feb 15th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Susan

Dear Sjoerd:
Your answers were very helpful. We'd like to know how to get to the Kroller-Muller Museum (Van Gogh) from Haarlem. We understand that there are free bikes in the park but someone said the # available is limited.
Thanks for any information you can supply.

Feb 15th, 2001, 03:07 PM
wes fowler

You cn take the train from Amsterdam to Arnhem. There is bus service from the train station to De Hoge Veluwe National Park and the Kroller-Muller Museum. Don't miss the Sculpture Park while visiting the museum.

There are, indeed, free bicycles available in the park.

Feb 15th, 2001, 03:40 PM
David

Great, very specific questions. Answers from Sjoerd couldn't be better. I can only add that Brugges is worth an overnight trip, even if you have to cut out a couple other places.

Feb 15th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Sjoerd

Susan, have a look at www.kmm.nl for information about getting to the Kroller Muller Museum.
Yes, there are free "white" bikes, and there is no unlimited number of them, but all you have to do when there are none left is take a bike from a arriving person. You don't have "your own" bike for the day, but just use them and leave them when you need them. Have a nice trip.

Feb 16th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Travel Time

Sjoerd,

Thanks for the great information.