Attire for dinner in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, all! My husband and I are leaving for our first trip to Paris on Tuesday. My question concerns fashion. Are sexy jeans, strappy heels and cute top appropriate for most restaurants in paris? Help!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:26 PM

Are you going to Paris, Texas, or Paris, France? What you wear to dinner depends entirely on the type of restaurant you are visiting. Paris is no different than New York, Philadelphia, LA, or Chicago when it comes to dressing for dinner. Use common sense.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:38 PM
Art

If you are going to mickyd's jeans are ok. If you are going to a nice restaruant, dress up a little.<BR>
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:28 AM
ira

Hi Nicole,<BR> Yes they are appropriate for *most* restauarants.<BR> If you are going to one with a star attached, you should dress up.<BR> More important, hubby should bring a jacket and tie.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:26 AM

Everyone should do what they want.<BR>That said, you asked for opinions.<BR>Mine is, that if you are over 25 and dining in any place where you are seated indoors and it is not a snack bar or fast food place, then you will find that most grown ups are not wearing jeans at dinner, be it Michelin starred restaurant, or just nice neighborhood restaurant. Will you be booted out? Probably not. Would you be more versatile in plain dark trousers with your cute top and strappy heels? Yes.<BR><BR>By the way, unless you are very fortunate, April weather can be rainy and chilly, even cold. You might want an alternative shoe.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:44 AM

Nicole,<BR>After a glorious, warm and sunny March, weather over here has changed drastically. Cold, windy, rainy. Be prepared for anything and dress accordingly.<BR>Agree with what Elaine said.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:03 AM

Wouldn't a tire be appropriate for any Michelin-starred restaurant in Paris?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:06 AM

Capo, LOL.<BR><BR>With the crazy fashion designers these days, who knows?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ask Bjorn, isn't that her name? The singer who wore a 'swan
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:25 AM

Haha, mimi, Bjork~<BR> Personally, I would rather see the swan than the jeans, at least the swan was an attempt to dress up<BR>Nicole, my two bits worth of advice is wear something black. No jeans. That way you can change shoes or tops and still look good no matter how dressy the place. I always take a black pants suit, the pieces serve me well throughout my stay. Parisians are a touch more formal, you won't see many women eating in good restaurants in jeans.<BR>
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:37 AM
lynlor

At Troisgros, ***Michelin restaurant in Roanne, France (actually rated the best restaurant in France by Gault Milleau this year) I saw two ladies (one young and one not so young) wearing jeans, high heels, tons of jewelery at dinner. Men were wearing jackets and some had ties on. <BR><BR>According to one of the waiters, we were the only Americans there. No jeans for me, but I felt very comfortable in my long skirt and jacket. Husband had a coat and tie on.

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:45 AM

And keep in mind that if you are wearing heels you probably want to cab it to the restaurants. Cobblestones are killers on feet in heels and after walking all day sightseeing it's even worse!<BR><BR>(from Experience and a love for strappy sandles!)<BR><BR>Wendy