Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Paris: Jules Verne restaurant- Appropriate attire?

Paris: Jules Verne restaurant- Appropriate attire?

Mar 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Paris: Jules Verne restaurant- Appropriate attire?

We're having lunch at Jules Verne this Sunday. Of course we won't go in t-shirts and jeans, but what is the proper attire? I hope it's not suits for men, or my husband will definitely try to get out of it ! Thanks!
Mar 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM

I don't believe a suit/tie is required but I wouldn't go without at least a sports jacket. After all - if you're willing to spend $300 for lunch I think something more than khakis and a golf shirt would be appropriate.
Mar 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Straight from their website "Our dress code is smart casual, however we do not oblige our guest to wear a tie or a jacket. Sportswear (such as t-shirts, shorts, trainers etc...) are not accepted."
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Friends who haven't been to Paris really wanted to go there, but I think we'll meet them later. Not our kind of place--or price!
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM

We celebrated a big birthday last November at the Jules Verne and it was quite lovely. We saw suits and elegant sport coats with dressy type sweaters on gentlemen. Hubby packed a nice jacket and tie and hated hauling it around all over the place just for one dinner. We had excellent dinners at Thornbury castle and Dalhousie Castle and he wore dressy type sweaters and slacks. We chose the table hote luncheon, you will save euros by choosing this option. They graciously brought out some excellent extra courses courtesy of the chef. After our lunch and the restaurant cleared out of the larger tables by the window, they let us linger for an hour more by the windows and sip on champagne, it was really special....
May 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM

We are celebrating my husband's birthday at Le Jules Verne on Monday June 1st. I hope a button down shirt and khakis are fine for my husband, as that's all he's bringing!
May 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Certainly a sport jacket or equivalent.
May 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Well... then they're going to have to just kick us out!! Because he's not bringing a sportsjacket.
May 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Oh, I didn't add - we're going for lunch rather than dinner.
May 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM

I just don;t get it.

If you want to wear casual clothes that's fine- but then stick to casual places. If you want to go somewhere elegant you should be willing at least to wear a jacket (no one is even forcing him into a suit and tie).
May 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM

I don't get it, either. BUT the website would indicate that he doesn't have to wear a jacket.
May 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM

I don't get it either.

But, don't go too casual. When we arrived once, the doorman was "unable to find" the reservation for the couple ahead of us. When we got off the elevator, the gent at the desk was on the phone telling someone a table had just opened up.
May 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Hubby and I had lunch there in 2007 for our 20th anniversary. We had packed dressy clothes particularly for the occasion, but we saw quite a variety of clothing. The teenagers at the table next to us (WHY would you bring cranky teens to the Jules Verne?!?) were wearing t-shirts, jeans and trainers, and there were older gentlemen in track suit jackets. I would definitely have worn nice pants and a shirt instead of a dress if we had known.
May 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Sorry, but we see no reason to bring an extra piece of clothing for one restaurant. He'll be fine in a nice shirt and khakis, with nice shoes. I'm planning on wearing black pants and a nice top. It's lunch, for chrissakes.
Sep 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM

I see that these were posted in 2009. I'm okay on attire but am concerned about the price. On one website someone mentioned $600 - that has to be with expensive wine. I will be there for my birthday in October (already have my reservation) but $600 is out of my league. I had been prepared to pay 200 Euro which would make it memorable but leave me something to shop with later in the week. Their sample menu from their website was no help as the link was broken. I'm going for dinner not lunch. I know lunch may be more practical but this is a once in a lifetime thing for me. Does anyone care to share what they paid for dinner?
Sep 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM

I haven't been since Alain Ducasse took over but everything I've read is the tasting menu runs from about €150 to €200 and the regular dinner menu maybe €85 - €200.

So w/o an expensive wine you should be able to stay w/i your budget - but don't fall in love w/ the priciest bits or you'll double it.
Sep 10th, 2010, 07:47 PM

Oh - my post should have been addressed to csrich47 who topped this . . . .

Search this Thread