Suggestions for first trip of ten days to Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son (25 years old) and I are planning a trip to Ireland for June 14 - 24. I had planned on flying to Dublin, renting car and spending first 7 - 8 days in countryside and remaining 2 or 3 in Dublin. Where should be go and what can we see in that amount of time. We both like history, castles, outdoors, etc. Any suggestions.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:25 AM

I strongly suggest getting Fodor's Ireland Book for 2003 and studying their good advice to plan a rough itinerary. I'll be in Eire for my first time from May 31 to June 8. Started asking questions here and then realized that I needed to narrow my scope. I got my Fodor's from the library but am going today to buy a copy - it's that helpful. Of particular interest are their suggested itineraries. They have them broken down by area (Dublin area, Southeast, Southwest etc) and then categorized by available time e.g. if you're interested in historic siutes and have 3 - 5 days... Lots of detail and a great place to start.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:58 AM

You can get a nice overview of Ireland in 10 days. But I would do it in reverse. Stay the first couple of days in Dublin. That way you won't be driving at the beginning when you are tired and jet lagged. Fly into Dublin and after 2 days pick up your rental car and head west. I would go anti-clockwise -- west to Galway/Connemara for 2 days. Then south through County Clare (cliffs of moher, etc) for a day or 2. Then 3 days in the SW (Dingle, Kerry, Beara, Cork), then one day NE through Cashel towards Dublin.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:58 AM
jor

Do not spend any more time than possible in Dublin. Its just another fast and large city. Stay in the towns on the southwest coast.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:41 AM

I think Janis is right, stay in Dublin at first and sightsee and relax ans then go driving around the country when you have recovered from jetlag. <BR><BR>While everyones personal taste is different I do not agree with Jor that Dublin is another fast paced city. I would not live here if it was. There are many gems in Dublin as well as fun things to do. Post the type of things you both like and I will think of some suggestions. Its a nice time of year in June as well to come over.<BR><BR>Enjoy <BR><BR>S
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:24 AM

On our first trip to Ireland, we went to a travel agent and picked up some brochures on 1-week and 10 day bus tours in Ireland. It will give you an idea of where the major sites are and where they take people on tours, what's there, etc. Then figure out what you want to see and plan your own trip.<BR><BR>I would fly in/out of Shannon and avoid Dublin -- it's nice, but just another big city. Kinsale and Dingle are musts. I would plan on 2 nights at each.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:54 AM

Hi there...<BR><BR>You can do a lot in 10 days. I would, however, phone into Dublin and out of Shannon (or visa versa). Spend a couple of days in Dublin (I did like it - I wanted to see Trinity &amp; the Book of Kells - I recommend staying at Kilronan House) and then drive stopping along the way to see the Rock of Cashel, etc. but spend most of your time in the Southwest in the Dingle area. It's wonderful.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. I've decided on the Galway to Southwest and back to Dublin agenda. Can anyone recommend specific B&amp;Bs. Also, we want to see some of the more well known attractions, such as Trinity in Dublin, etc.; however, we also like to see the unusual. Any suggestions as to castles to see and any to stay in overnight.