Search

ATMs in paris/france

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATMs in paris/france

hello fodorites,

we will be in paris for one week followed by provence for another week.

i've read multiple threads about using our bank cards while there to withdraw cash etc.

can you tell me what the major bank machine names/brands are in paris and/or france?

i'd like to stay away from non-branded ATMs in little convenience stores/bars/cafes ... i'd like to stick with national chains if possible.

i've heard of BNP paribas ... any others?

thanks.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Maybe it's just me but I've never seen an ATM machine in a bar or store in France but I'm no expert. Why do you need to know the names of the banks if you're only using the ATMs at banks and no where else.

Anyway - I googled French banks and you can see the list from this link.

http://www.quazell.com/bank/beur_fra.htm
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

hi adrienne,

thanks for the link.

in canada, we have no-name ATMs located in convenient venues (i.e. convenience stores, pubs, etc.) these machines are not affiliated with any bank and are sometimes associated with ATM card crime (i.e. duplicate cards being made after you insert your real card). we also have branded ATMs that are standalone -- not necessarily NEXT to a bank branch.

i just want to stick with 'major' bank chains/brands while overseas. i'm only familiar with BNP paribas.

and i guess i'm not sure if all ATMs in paris/france are next-door to an actual bank or if there are standalone ATMs as well.

thanks.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:36 PM

A bank is a bank - none is going to let their ATMs be interfered with.

IMHO you're overthinking this.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM

BNP Parabas is part of Bank of America's network so there is no fee for B of A customers using their ATM's. BTW, they are everywhere! You may wish to check with your ATM card issuer to see whether it has any affiliations with French banks for no-fee ATM transactions. My rules of thumb for ATM's in Europe: (1) only use an ATM physically attached to a real bank, and (2) only use an ATM during normal banking hours. Both of these so you can retrieve your card from the machine, if necessary.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Hi Lilaki - Now I understand your concern. Just use any bank ATM in France. The largest are Credit Agricole and Credit Lyonnais. I never heard of private ATMs. Don't worry about this in France - enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:07 PM
RJD

Go on your bank's web site. If they have branches in Paris, such as HSBC, you can find them.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:19 PM
PLJ

Hi lilaki,

I think that Bank of Montreal (referred to in your earlier post) is on the Cirrus network. (It will say on the back of your ATM card.) The attached link may assist you in finding the bank ATM's that you are looking for. If you do a more specific search using your hotel address, you would receive a list of the ATM locations nearest your hotel (or wherever you think is most convenient).

http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona...ons/index.html

Scanning the list of banks provided, I recognize the names Societe Generale, Caisse d'Epargne, BNP Paribas, and Credit Agricole. In my travels around Paris, I've found bank ATM's to be fairly easy to locate.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

hi PLJ,

thanks so much for 'confirming' the bank names!

i checked out the cirrus website earlier but the only bank i recognized was BNP paribas.

i will also take zorrosf's advice and use ATMs attached to actual bank branches.

thanks all!!!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Some of the postal offices have ATMs also, and I have used those before. Otherwise, ATMS embedded in the exterior walls of French banks are very very easy to find.

ex.
BNP Paribas
Banque Populaire
Credit Lyonnaise
Societe Generale
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:05 AM

I have never seen a French ATM which had only Visa/Plus or Mastercard/Cirrus symbols (but not both). And I've never seen ATMs (even in convenient location like inside stores etc) which didn't have a bank logo on it.
So you can use any ATM to access your cash.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:21 AM

nytraveller you said:
A bank is a bank - none is going to let their ATMs be interfered with.

Well it can and does happen, at any bank with an outside ATM, not as much as it used to but it is relatively easy to stick a skimmer on any ATM. Unless you are very careful keying in you pincode they can get that too fairly easily - often by fitting a miniscule camera above the ATM.
Banks do not routinely check their ATMs from the outside in my experience, just fill 'em up from inside.
Most banks ATMs in the Netherlands now have a hologram on the card slot - if they don't have one that looks right I don't use them.

That said you are more at risk of fraud when paying in a shop or petrol station. Never hand your card over, and cover the machine when typing in your pin.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Every ATM in France takes Visa and Mastercard. Every ATM in France is operated by a bank - there are no private ATMs. No ATM in France charges a fee - you can count on your own bank to do that.