Search

ATM Machines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM Machines

We have been told you need a six digit Pin number when using ATM Machines in France or in Europe. In the USA we use a four digit Pin number. Is this requirement true?
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:14 AM

NO. 4 digit is what's needed in Europe so you're fine if you already have one. Make sure you know the numbers (not letters) because the ATM machines there don't have letters on the buttons.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:22 AM

Yes only need four-digit PIN. ATM tips: make sure your card's magnetic strip is in pristine condition. i've had cards that worked well in US but not in some machines in Europe because magnetic strip was worn and European machines were more fickle in reading them.
cards hooked to checking accounts should work as long as Cirrus or Plus is on them, ones hooked to savings accounts are porblematic. Ask you card issuer about fees abroad. many just charge the local bank fee for using non-bank machines but some may tack on special fees. take more than one card if possible - if one doesn't work the other will. In a decade or more of using ATMs i've relied exclcusively on them in all European countries but i always take traveler cheques as a back up, always bringing them back home unused because you can never be sure you card will work in all ATMs. some work better than others. ATMs are the best way of exchaning money, excellent inter-bank rate of exchange better than you'd get in a bank in Europe. Most airports hide ATMs, preferring you hit the rip-off money exchanges sitting at where you come out of customs, but look around, try the basement, for ATMs before resorting to the airport money exchanges.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Good point Bob makes about the card being linked to a checking account. For some reason you can't access money from savings (so make sure you have enough in checking before you leave because you also can't transfer funds from one account to the other from there0.

It's also a good idea to inform your bank you'll be travelling. Call your credit card cos. as well.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:08 PM

It's 4 digits not 6.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
To the OP~ Am curious who told you this?

Only because I am continually amazed at incorrect travel information that gets passed around.

No, it is 4 not 6, and numerals not letters.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:49 AM

I can't say for France, but you can get money from your savings account from the Citibank machines (you don't have to have a Citibank account), which are scattered throughout Brussels. One other Brussels comment: the Bancontact/Mistercash machines have a fairly low withdrawal limit, I think about 600 euros per week per card. Citibank machines aren't on the Bancontact/Mistercash network, so have higher limits.
Some money change kiosks will let you make withdrawals from your checking account as a "cash advance"--works only if your card is linked to Visa or Mastercard.
Finally, remember that some bank machines can only be used by their customers--in Belgium, for example, the ATMs at ING (formerly BBL) branches are only accessible to ING customers. Check that the machine has a Visa/MC/Cirrus/Plus symbol before trying.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 06:37 AM

if you are coming into CDG; the ATM is usually next to the change bureau, they dont try to hide it at all. At least it is in terminal 2. The change bureau at CDG doesnt really have that bad a rate, compared to many in airports--about a ten pct markup
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 08:59 AM

We use ATMs all the time with no problem. Just one cavet: Have in your mind how much money you want to withdraw already mentally converted to Euros or whatever. I was someplace before Euros and needed $300. I placed my card in before I calculated what to ask for in that currency. My card cancelled before I came up with the answer and was returned to me. Stupid, but true.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 01:47 PM

Hey Bob:

If you don't have the money mentally converted you could end up with what happen to me in Nairobi (I entered one to0 few 0's so got the equivalent of $10usd instead of $100) or Budapest (I entered one too many so had $1,000usd).

While I don't plan on making that mistake a 3rd time, I hadn't planned on making it on the 2 previous ones either. A lot of good my planning did, I've just mark it down to what we refer to as an "ID TEN T" error (id10t).

Z
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 01:51 PM
ira

Hi TM,

How did you get $1000 out of an ATM?
My bank limits me to $300 (default) or $500 if you make a special request.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:37 AM

Ira:

I don't know about Travelmaster, but I've been told by my bank that I can withdraw however much I have in my bank account at the time. Of course, that's with using a debit card for ATM's.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Intrepid

The amounts one can withdraw from an ATM on a dily basis vary from institution to institution...my own has an upper limit of $1500 per day.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:45 AM

Hi Ira:

I recall that the $$ you indicated were the defaults when my account was setup. But they were easily changable. Since I travel with work I found it convient to get access to larger amounts of cash for the rare occurance when I need it (I made the change when I was getting an apt in another city, as I knew I'd be there for 6 months but wasn't going to move, & anticipated I'd need cash for the first payment when I found an appropriate one).

Z
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Can you help with this question. I've been the the UK many times and always use my ATM for cash, but we're about to leave on a trip to Scotland and Ireland and my future hubby tells me he heard you could have trouble using your pin if it contains a zero, and his does. My pin doesn't have a zero in it so I've never heard of this. Can anyone help, is this just one of those occasions where wrong info is spread or could it be true?
thanks
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:34 AM

Mine has a zero in it and never had a problem anywhere. The restriction may apply if a zero is first. My bank (in the US) wouldn't allow a leading zero.

The best solution is to have him transfer all his money into your account then his number is irrelevent.