Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ATM at airport in Barcelona? I dont want to get ripped off buying Euro at home and don't want the hassle of travellers checks

Search

ATM at airport in Barcelona? I dont want to get ripped off buying Euro at home and don't want the hassle of travellers checks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 02:12 AM
viajero

Can anyone tell me if they noticed ATM machines at the airport in Barcelona's airport? I know that withdrawing money from an ATM gives the best exchange rate. However, I am a little nervous about arriving without any cash and if the ATM doesnt work there I may be in trouble. I may need some travellers just as a back up even though I'd end up getting a lousy exchange rate.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ATMs are located in the ground transportation area just as you exit the customs bagage check area .there are money exchange booths next to the ATMs .
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 02:29 AM
viajero

Thank you, Italiano.
Sorry about the redundancy in my question. My teachers were always after me to proof read!

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 02:46 AM

If you're concerned,I think it's a good idea to get 50-100 euros before leaving home, just to be sure. They may charge you a hefty commission fee, but it's worth the $10-20 extra for peace of mind, and knowing that you can get to your hotel and put your stuff down before worrying about how to get more money. With traveler's checks, you'd have to waste time trying to redeem them (and may not be able to at the airport anyway); if you get some euros beforehand you won't waste any vacation time at all.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:25 AM

There are several ATMs in each terminal near the side exit doors. Sometimes one or more is out of action, but others will work.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:27 AM
Intrepid

I agree completely with allovereurope. This past May we flew through Frankfurt to Milan and I foolishly did not use the ATM in Frankfurt so waited until we got to Linate...not the usual arrival site for most but nevertheless...when we arrived the ATM in baggage claim was NOT in service. Fortunately, I had bought 100 Euros at Dulles prior to departure and then later found a working ATM in Milan itself.
Do not fool with traveler's checks, especially if they aren't IN Euros..get a little Euro cash before you leave and then use the ATM either at the Barcelona airport or after you get into the city.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:28 AM

I didn't think you get ripped off buying your euros from a bank at home. They just charge a higher commission because people have to handle the transaction. The ATM doesn't have this high cost. If the bank charged the ATM rate they would lose money on the deal.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:38 AM

Bob C...don't understand what you mean. Call it whatever you want, you still pay substantially more (very substantally more I might add) to buy Euro (the proper plural BTW) before arriving in Europe.

As far as the ATM might be broken or out of service crowd, yes it happens (rarely). You know what you do...you saunder over to one of the many exchange booths at the airport, reach into your wallet, take out a few crisp US 20's and exchange cash. You lose a bit (far less than getting Euro (note the proper plural spelling BTW)) but you can certainly fend for yourself quite easily. Oh yes, the queues. You're going to have to wait for your baggage anyway. Might as well do something productive while you wait!

Don't sweat it. While there are many who want to throw away $10 to $20 for "peace of mind", be aware this is now the 21st century and for the most part, technology works very well thank you.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:04 AM
ira

Hi Viajero,

Buy about 100 E at your departure airport. It will not cost an additional $10 - 20.

Even if you pay a 30% transaction fee, it will only be $3.00.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:17 AM

Barcelona is an international city - there will be an atm (if not 2 or 3) at the airport . I'd wait until I got there.....you'll be fine.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:38 AM

xyz123, I make it a habit to let no pedantry go uncorrobrated, so I checked the official EU euro website and found a rather delightful little article on the subject of the plural euro. As it turns out, although the principle of invariable spelling (i.e., using the same spelling for both singular and plural) was accepted, France, Spain, and Portugal immediately obtained permission to use plural (though not on the notes and coins). The article ends with the following quote from the English Style Guide:

"Guidelines on the use of the euro, issued via the Secretariat-General, state that the plurals of both 'euro'
and 'cent' are to be written without 's' in English. Do this when amending or referring to legal texts that themselves observe this rule. Elsewhere, and especially in documents intended for the general public, use the natural plural with 's' for both terms."

So, it would seem that, you are technically, but unnecessarily, correct.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:57 AM

I buy about 200 euros before going and use the ATMs after that. I too want to pay as little as I can, but I don't think that 5% commission that Bank of America is asking for is a rip off. I can reduce that to about 3% using ATMs. So I do that.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:12 PM

I rely on airport ATMs and have yet to have a problem. I do bring about $200 USD just in case there is an issue with ATM machines being broken, out of cash or whatever, and figure I can exchange them at my destination if necessary.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:12 PM

I agree completely with xyz123 and Lesli and think Ira needs to check his/her math.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:52 PM

Ira...

30% o $100 is $30....
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you decide to get Euro in the States, get more ... $50-100 (as mentioned) is hardly a useful amount of cash.

I carry US bills to exchange the first chance I get (but more like $250-500) and/or use the ATM machine.

If you are "nervous" then call your own bank and get some euro ahead of your trip. Vacations should be fun not giving you an ulcer!

Travelers checks are fine as a backup, but you'll have to exchange them at a change window or bank most likely.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:03 PM

suze -

The point of only getting 50-100E (if any) before arriving in Europe is that the lousy conversion rate is then on a small amount of money. Those uncomfortable with the idea of waiting until they arrive then have enough to get from the airport into town, where there will most likely be ATMs every few blocks.

If someone is headed for a very tiny village, more cash in advance might be in order (but all the more reason to get it at the airport!)