Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone explain what the difference might be between seeing either Pompeii or Herculaneum? I know Hercu is better preserved etc..

Also, i'd like to do one of those two places plus something either on the Sorrento Peninsula or the Amalfi coast..

I'm one of those cruise people in the port of naples for one day, so i'm limited with time... Can anyone suggest an itinerary as to what would be a good idea?

thanks
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:44 PM

You could take a ferry to Positano for half a day, then ferry to Sorrento, or bus to Sorrento (1/2 hour), and 1/2 hour train (Circumversuviana) to Pompeii. Pompeii can be done in half a day or a couple of hours - never been to Herculaneum. 1/2 hour train back to Naples. You should check timetables though, to see that everything fits together.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:36 PM

I will be making the same cruise stop at Naples next week. I've visited both Pompeii and Herculaneum previously. I plan to revisit Pompeii. There is a lot more to see at Pompeii. The excavation procress is much more tedious in Herculaneum and it is not as easy to get to it. If you are not planning on spending much time either place would give you an idea of what life was like then.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:46 AM
ira

Hi

You might want to visit the Archaeological Museum in Naples before going to Pompeii.

Once in Pompeii, you can take the train to Sorrento.

Train schedules are at
http://www.vesuviana.it/orario_ol/orari.asp
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:54 AM

We visited Pompeii just recently, and depending on how much you want to see, you can get a good feel for it in a few hours. We didn't make it to Herculaneum, but heard that if you've seen Pompeii, it won't be as impressive. Also, Pompeii is right there when you get off the train, whereas Herculaneum is a bit more of a trek. You will definitely save time if you only do Pompeii.

As far as an itinerary, I would see Pompeii if you are interested in the ruins, and then definitely make a trip to Positano or the Almalfi Coast for the other part of the day. Sorrento is nice, but nothing really to see, and you're better off leaving that for a time when you have more time. Another option is to take a ferry to the Almalfi Coast, which gives great views of the coastline.
Good luck and have a great trip!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:42 AM

taz, the most important difference is that Pompeii is about 20 times bigger. Still, I loved Herculaneum for the location and the work in progress (this was a number of years ago).
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:01 AM

I got back from Italy in April - I went to both Herculaneum and Pompeii. I had heard that Herculaneum was better preserved, so that it why we went there (IMHO I don't know if that is true). If you have the time and can see both - do (there is a ticket that will cover both sites, plus a few others). If you can only chose 1, I would chose Pompeii - there is a lot more to see. If you can I would include the Archeological Museum in Naples (wish I had scheduled the time for that).
You could always do 1/2 day in Pompeii, and then spend the afternoon in Naples.
Hope this helps.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:53 PM

I've done them both, and think Pompeii is more visually interesting. I'll also admit I am kind of stupid when it comes to understanding those kinds of things, and couldn't truly appreciate how/why Herculaneum is better preserved. Much of what was well preserved is in the museum in Naples anyway. If you know what you're looking for, then I think you'd like Herculeneum.

I would definitely recommend reading a good guidebook on the sites beforehand to figure out what portions really interest you (a no-brainer...I know). I didn't get to, since the Amalfi Coast was a totally unplanned stop. Also, the stop on the train is "Ercolano".