Help with the Euro

Search

Help with the Euro

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with the Euro

We will be leaving for France on Sept 12th. Could someone please give me advice on where to exchange dollars for euros to receive the best rate? Should I exchange in the States or wait till we arrive in Paris? Also where do we go in Paris to receive the best rate? If we exchange in the States I was considering AAA.
Your advice please
Diane P
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:47 AM

In my opinion, withdrawing from your ATM once you arrive in Europe is the best way to exchange dollars for euros, hands down. If you prefer to have a few Euros on you when you arrive a the airport so that you don't have to serach for an ATM before getting into a cab and onto your hotel, you can exchange at the airport on your way out, or look for a local Thomas Cook office before you leave.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:50 AM

For 100or 200 euros before you leave home..just go to the most convenient place , AAA, Amex, your bank..why waste expensive gas driving all over town to save a dollar or 2.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:50 AM

Don't "exchange" money. Withdraw money there with your ATM card for the best bank rates available. You go to the ATM - maybe right at the airport - punch in a withdrawal amount in Euros, and receive Euros in the money tray. Your transaction is calculated and the apporopriate number of dollars (or other home currency) is withdrawn.

I've been to Europe numerous times over the last 12 years or so and have NEVER needed to exchange money, either here or there - it's an unnecessary and expensive practice.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 05:12 AM

Even though ATMs are widely available, I'd still recommend taking about $100 worth of Euros with you...a couple of reasons:
1. Lines at ATMs in airport can be long...a waste of time when you're jetlagged.
2. ATMs can be out of money or not working (happened to us a few times--usually the machine was out of order for some reason and once there was an extended strike by the guys who deliver the cash to the ATMS).
The amount of money you "lose" on the exchange is worth the convenience for having some euros in hand when you arrive. After that, stick to ATMs. Don't bring travelers checks!!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I usually order online from Bank of America, and have it sent to the downtown branch, across the street from where I work. I get enough to avoid the shipping charge. Although not as good a rate as you can get by using ATM, they seem to have the best rates for the main online sites (even better than the bank I work for!)
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:46 AM

For my last 3 trips to Paris, I have found it convenient to have a few euros in advance. That way I can worry about finding an ATM later after I get to my hotel.

ATM's are very easy to find in Paris and they work just like they do in the USA.
The exchange rate is usually the wholesale bank rate plus about a 1% markup.
I prefer the banks where the ATM is off the street in a booth, but you will not have trouble finding one.

I usually have one ATM card and my wife as one too as backup.
Now, in saying this, I am assuming that you know the difference between using your credit card and using your ATM card. If you put your credit card in the slot, you end up with a cash advance which is a big fee item.
A friend of mine did not know the difference and used his credit card consistently to withdraw cash on a 3 week trip and ended up with a nice finance charge.