Reload this Page >

Euros at Atlanta airport

Search

Euros at Atlanta airport

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:26 AM
elizabeth

Euros at Atlanta airport

Is it possible to get Euros at the Atlanta airport? If so, where in the airport? I'm hoping to avoid having to order by mail. Thanks for your help!

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:33 AM
s

elizabeth,<BR><BR>Yes, in the international terminal. I forget its letter-name, but it's the one that's the farthest from the Atrium (maybe E??). Here's a link to the airport's website where you can find terminal maps & services directory:<BR><BR>www.atlanta-airport.com<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>s

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Bob Brown

Yes you can get euro notes at Hartsfield, but you will pay 11% more than the wholesale bank rate for them.<BR>I priced them last week. At the time, the euro was running 90 cents wholesale; the bank at Hartsfield wanted $1.00 for one euro. That is a mark up of slightly more than 11%.<BR><BR>Why don't you save your money and get the euro notes from an ATM machine at your arrival airport? Every in European airport has ATM machines. The exchange rate will be close to the bank wholesale rate; you will save about 10%.<BR><BR>If you are compelled, the window for the exchange is in the central atrium area near the the Atlanta Bread Co. It is between baggage claim and the security stations.<BR>

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Bubba

Bob is right, also you might want to know that the minimum you can exchage is $20. Personally I would change $20 or $40 just in case and the rest in Europe or use ATMs.

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Barb

Elizabeth--You can get euros from the American Express office in Buckhead, across from Lenox Mall, next to the Ritz Carlton hotel. Their rate is about 3%, plus a $4 per order fee. You don't have to order in advance, but I'd probably call to be sure they haven't run out. The Alpharetta office also keeps euro on hand. <BR><BR>I exchanged $300 before I went to Italy,<BR>and felt the convenience of having the money outweighed the slight additional cost. My bank (B of A), charges $1.50 for each ATM withdrawal, and about 1%<BR>for the currency exchange in an overseas ATM transaction, so my $300 cost me about $8.50 more at AX than to wait until I hit the Rome airport. I had a driver from Rome limo service waiting, and I needed cash to pay him.<BR>Each person must decide their own comfort level; the bottom line is just be informed.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:20 PM
banker

20 euro, not 20 euros. No "s".

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:28 PM
euros

"Guidelines on the use of the euro, issued via the Secretariat-General, state that the plurals of both 'euro' and 'cent' are to be written without 's' in English. Do this when amending or referring to legal texts that themselves observe this rule. Elsewhere, and especially in documents intended for the general public, use the natural plural with 's' for both terms."<BR><BR>March 2002<BR><BR>http://europa.eu.int/euro/html/rubrique-cadre5.html?pag=rubrique-defaut5.html|lang=5|rubrique=221|chap=15<BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 9th, 2002, 03:22 PM
s

elizabeth,<BR><BR>There is a Thomas Cook currency kiosk in Terminal E (the international concourse) at Gate 26. If you are connecting in Atlanta, going to the Atrium will be going the wrong way.<BR><BR>s

Old May 9th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Al Godon

I'll write euro how I (((* please.<BR>Ain't no bunch of foreigners going to tell me how to write my native language.<BR>England is a participant in the European Monetary Union. If it joins, and writes euro, I might reconsider.<BR>As it is now, non English speakers can keep their opinions to themselves!<BR>