Search

ATM alert

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM alert

Hi Everyone,

My husband rec'd a warning on his gov't account today, with an attached document containing pics of devices that are being used by crooks to get your ATM card and PIN info. I have saved the WORD document with the pics, but don't know how you all could see it.

The pics show a device that the crooks attach on top of the existing card reader slot and is disguised to look like it's part of the machine. When you slide your card in, it passes through the bogus reader first, and the bogus reader downloads your card info to a remote device. Once it passes through the bogus reader, your card then slides on through to be read by the real ATM reader, and you can conduct your transaction as usual, with no idea that your card info has just been accessed and downloaded.

The other device that crooks are using is a pamphlet-holder box that is attached to the wall of the ATM machine with Velcro. Trouble is, it's full of bank pamphlets, and looks like it should be exactly where it is. The box is positioned so that a hidden camera inside the box can videotape your PIN numbers as you enter them, and it also videotapes anything on the ATM screen.

I just thought I'd better post this warning. Perhaps some of you already know about these criminal methods of stealing your ATM information, but others might not.

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi BR,

Thanx for the warning.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the posting. I was wondering if this is the same ATM scam where the crooks insert a plastic film into the ATM machine and it imprints your information? The CBS.com site calls it the "lebanese loop". A person stands by and tells the hapless victim that the "same thing happened" to them and the victim needs to keep entering pin number. Now I suppose they have installed a camera. I guess we must now check through any brochures near an ATM. The good news is that you get a camera for looking.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:23 PM

I recall seeing on the news where they installed a bogus ATM in a mall.
Insert card where they get the info, record the PIN and then give a 'out of money' message.
Get your back and just walk-away looking for another . ~Stone
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 01:30 PM

So THAT's how you make money off of ATMs I've seen advertised in the "Business Opportunities" classifieds! spooky!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:14 PM

I think I've seen stuff about that on some TV newsmagazines or something.

Unoh, I don't think that's the business opportunities, maybe you are joking. There are many private ATMs around that charge fees per usage. I don't know why people use these, but perhaps if you don't have an account with a common bank in your area, they might have a lower fee than the bank one. I don't know -- I see them a lot where I live in the supermarket or wherever next to the regular bank one, or in the 7/11. It's like owning a vending machine.