Notices

ATM

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:14 AM
kate

ATM

Does anyone know whether you can access your savings account at ATM's in London or whether it's just your checking account that you can access.

I'm leaving next saturday and want to make sure to transfer my money if I need to.

Thanks

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:16 AM
herself

My esperience has been - Checking account only.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:18 AM
StCirq

It depends on how you have had your bank set up your ATM card. Mine is set to withdraw from more than one account, but I believe the norm is to tie the ATM to the checking account only. I'd check with your bank before leaving.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:21 AM
xxx

Excellent question! We had two money cards on a recent rip to Europe- one could withdraw from either checking or savings, one from savings only. The savings only one didn't work, the other automatically withdrew from checking without asking.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:28 AM
joe

My card gave me only checking in England.We got a little confused about daily withdrawal limits.Mine is 300.00$ each day,so I would get 200 pounds at the ATM.My limit restores at midnight California time so I had to be careful not to try to do two in the same 24hour period.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:28 AM
kate

Thanks for the quick responses and information everyone. Actually just spoke with my bank and found out you can only get money from checking. Glad I checked before I got stuck in London with no money! lol

thanks again!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Bill

Try to use as little UK cash as possible. Using credit cards in the UK gets you the best exchange rate - and no commissions paid to a bank / bureau du change.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 09:18 PM
l

My bank tells me that it does not matter if my "PIN" is 5 numbers long and that I only have to punch in the first four numbers when I am in England and it will work..

Is this true?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 05:35 PM
@@@@

Bill- on a recent trip to Ireland I actually got a better exchange rate on ATM withdrawals than I did on credit card transactions. Maybe it's because I have a Credit Union account rather than a commercial bank.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Leo

Just spoke with Bank and Credit card companies for clarification.
My bank (Chevy Chase) charges no conversion fee only the transaction fee ($2) on my ATM. However Visa charges. So if I had a debit card/ATM (Visa) I would be charged the 1% on my bank ATM withdrawals. Since I just have a bank ATM, they say there is no conversion fee.(we'll see later what the exchange rate is).
My United Visa charges a 1% conversion fee, and Am Ex charges 1% conversion fee.