Notices

Dinner in Verona

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Linda

Dinner in Verona

I am looking for a great restaurant for a pre-opera dinner in Verona.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Paulo

For a splurge try the Il Desco (Via Dietro San Sebastiano 7, tel. 045 595358, reservations a must). For a more down to earth dining experience try the 12 Apostoli (Vicolo Corticella San Marco 3, tel 045 596999, reservations recommended during Opera season).
Paulo

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Patrick

I second Paulo's suggestion for 12 Apostoli. We ate there before the opera this past July and it was not only a wonderful dining experience, they treat you like royalty. Unfortunately, the opera ended up being rained out (but not until nearly midnight) but that's another story. At least we had a great dinner that night.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 10:31 AM
sandi

Just curious, if I wanted to attend the opera in Verona some day, how far in advance would you all recommend amking hotel reservations and purchasing opera tickets?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Paulo

Long time, no hear, Patrick What are you up to this year?

Sandi, I'd say it depends on when during the Opera season you're going, which opera you're attending, your mode of transportation and which type of seats you'll be taking.

Tickets for shows on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays usually are less sought after than shows on Fridays and Saturdays. Aida and Carmem usually sell out faster than other Operas. Season opener and closer are usually a zoo ... and so on. Of course, a big name opera singer may be on eventually and when this is the case it's quite difficult to get tickets.

Quite often there are gradinata tickets available for purchase just prior to the show.

If one has a car, lodging is not that critical. One way or another one should always be able to find a room within a radius of 20-30km from Verona.

For a season opener and closer, I'd go about tickets and hotel reserrvations some 4 months in advance. For Fridays and Saturdays one may lower this maybe to 2½ months. For other days a couple of months should be enough.

Paulo

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:27 PM
tonyccc

Linda;
We are traveling to Northern Italy soon (not soon enough) and are staying a few nights in Verona. We are also going to the opera in Verona.We have tickets for the evenings of July 7th (Il Trovatore) and July 8th (Aida).
Besides the recent postings, I have read good things about the 12 Apostoli,
and great things about Il Desco.
Best wishes for a magical night in the
city of Romeo and Juliet.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:32 PM
sandi

Thanks Paulo. Have fun you lucky ones!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 06:50 PM
tonyccc

Paulo
Patrick

We have traveled throughout Italy,
though we are partial to Southern Italy.
This year, however, we go no further south then Bologna. Which brings me to my question. We have always dined late in Italy. 9 PM or so in Rome or Florence, and 9:30 to 10 PM in Sicily and Southern Italy.
The opera in Verona begins at 9:15 PM.
What time do the restaurants open and/or
start taking reservations in Verona?
Many restaurants, even in Rome, wouldn't open for dinner befoe eight.
How about post opera? Are many places still open?

We have opera tickets

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Paulo

Tony,

Opera shows start at 9:15pm. Once they now have all tickets numbered, spectators may plan to be at the Arena shortly before 9pm. Restaurants should open at 6:30pm or so. Till recently, most Opera tickets (gradinata) were unumbered, meaning that most spectators didn't have the change to have a restaurant dinner prior to the show (they had to stand in line starting at 6pm or so). I'd guess that the consequence of the change will be a much greater demand on restaurants prior to the show. Be sure to reserve way in advance.

After the opera, 99 out of 100 spectators go home ... This is so because the shows don't finish before 1am (last time we saw Aida it ended at 1:40am). If I remember well, the cafes in Piazza Bra were open (but don't blame me if they aren't because I'm not sure). Anyway, with several thousand people leaving the Arena at the same time, Piazza Bra turns into a zoo (at least for half an hour or so). Even though most people go back to their hotels, there would still be plenty who eventulally would like to sit down at a table. Consequently, if the cafes are indeed open, it won't be that easy to get a table.

Paulo

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Diane

How many people does that arena hold? We visited it on a Sunday afternoon and watched them building the stage (last month). Those marble seats were really comfortable, to my surprise!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Paulo

The Arena sits a shade over 20,000.
Paulo

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 05:56 AM
claire

Hi Paulo. We have unnumbered gradinata seats for a Saturday night opera performance in Verona on August 5. Does this mean we should forget dinner reservations? The Verona site doesn't say anything about how early to get there or times that day for picking up our tickets at the box office, so we're a bit at sea!