Notices

Planning a trip to Greece/Istanbul

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Christine

Planning a trip to Greece/Istanbul

My husband and I are starting to think about our trip next year and we wanted to go to Greece/Istanbul. (I know, I know, it's far in advance, but with Frequent Flier stuff, you almost have to plan it that way)

My questions:
How many days in Athens/Istanbul would be recommended? I was thinking 2-3 days each city.

In addition, we want to hit one of the Greek Islands. I'm a beach person, so that's important, but I want a little more than just beach. (although I have a feeling all the Islands are seeped in culture and are beautiful) Any recommendations?

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Tammy

I was watching a show about the best beaches in the world on the Travel Channel. They listed a beach on Crete as one of them. Sorry I can't remember the name. If you were going to just one island, Crete would be good because it's so large. My husband and I spent two nights in Istanbul that was barely enough time. We were in Athens for one night. We comfortably toured the Archeological Museum, Plaka and the Acropolis.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Debbie

I personally would allow more days in Istanbul(at least 4) as there is so much to see and do.he boat ride up the Bosphorus River is 5 hours and a lunch stop/Aye Sophia and Topaki Palace with Harem tour is a day/Blue Mosque with tours of the Basilica cistern and archaelogy museum is another/THE GRAND BAZAAR which should NEVER be rushed!!!! Have fun-Debbie
I have heard that the air pollution in Athens has gotten horrendous since I was last there so perhaps 2 days is enough?

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Paulo

We had 8 nights to split between Athens and Istanbul and made it, respectively, 3 and 5. If we had only 7, we would have split it 2 and 5. With six available nights, I'd recommend 2 in Athens and 4 in Istanbul.

Paulo

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Berlin

We did a honeymoon sail boat cruise in greece and turkey. Athens needs only a full day in my opinion. Be careful of how much taxi drivers try to charge you. Istanbul was wonderful. I liked all the islands, Mykonos stands out in my mind.