Athens to Santorini to Rhodes to Athens

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:20 PM
MJ

Athens to Santorini to Rhodes to Athens

Which is the best way to travel in April? air or ferry? Which airline/ferry is the best? Also, are there winds only in April?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Tricia

I would probably fly to save time, my brother used aegean airlines and found them to be fine. This trip I used the Blue Star ferries (the ships were the Naxos, the Paros and the Ithaki)and the Hellas flying Dolphins and Nel Lines. I found all the ships to be clean and pretty much on time. The flying Dolphin and Nel are about twice as fast as the Blue Star and twice as much money.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:43 PM
sophy

Best to fly. Olympic reasonably priced & reliable. Ferries /Flying Dolphins unreliable & take way too long

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:44 PM
sophy

By The way Rhodes Rocks! Is my fav island by far!!!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Geoff Hamer

Pireas-Santorini and Pireas-Rodos can be done by ferry overnight. Cabins on Greek ferries are not expensive. The BLUE STAR 1 (www.bluestarferries.com) is running to Rodos and has very good passenger facilities.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:37 AM
alisa

We flew and would recommend that. Much quicker. Although we took Olympic, which is known for not being on time. They, of course, were delayed on all flights we took. Just check to see when they fly between islands. I know when we flew from Mykonos to Rhodes, there was only one flight per week. By the way, I would not recommend going to Rhodes. My husband and I hated it. Definitely stay away from Rodos Palace. That place had the worst service.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:03 PM
soph

i am going to have to disagree w/alisa. I have travelled to many islands & feel that Rodes is by far one of the best. If you can rent a car & tour the various parts of Rhodes & beaches you will be amazed. We stayed at the Hilton-the service was great & had great amenities- awesome pool- good food- & nightly entertainment.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Barb

Suggest it depends on how you would like to spend your time. I had an enjoyable 5 hours with friends on a boat from Athens to Mykonos. There are similar boats from Pireas to Santorini. We got a picnic and enjoyed the sunshine - but be warned it was a bit brisk in the wind. If time is of the essence suggest flying. I'm not a reall big fan of Olympic - they have a shoddy on time record, poor service and some of the worst kept planes of the European fleets. I was shocked and felt a bit of safety concern at several points on my flight from Budapest to Athens. I have vowed to avoid them in any future travel plans.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 04:29 PM
rob mccoist

barb<BR><BR>what do you mean when you say that Olympic have the 'worst kept planes'? <BR><BR>Olympic has maintained one of the best safety records in Europe if not the world.<BR><BR>Mind you, they most certainly could improve their timekeeping and some (but not all) of their staff are way too formal, bordering on unfriendly.<BR><BR>I need to fly them regularly and usually don't have a choice of airline on some of the routes. As I will have to continue using them I'm interested in your source for the comment.<BR><BR>rob

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:56 AM
Deb

I would also recommend flying too much time lost otherwise. Just be sure to check out flight schedules ahead of time. I ended up having to stay in Santorini a couple days longer than I wanted because the flights to rhodes are only scheduled every few days and do sell out (at least in June they did)Also the only flight was at 9pm which is pretty inconvenient.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:32 AM
Judith

Hi there!<BR><BR>I have just returned from the Greek islands having spent three fantastic weeks there! We visited Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Crete and Rhodes. <BR><BR>We flew from Crete to Rhodes by Olympic and it was absolutely fine and then from Rhodes to Athens by Aegean . This time the flight was delayed 45 minutes and there were no apologies! We almost missed our connecting flight back to the UK! . Flying saves time but if you can get an overnight ferry that might OK too. The flying dolhins are very good and you can get upgraded to business class if the tourist class is too crowded. It does not cost that much. The same on the flights: getting an upgrade may not cost much but for us it meant that we got our luggage back early and could rush to catch the next flight.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:12 AM
Mia

Traveling by ferry is one of the nice parts of going to Greece in my opinion. Hang out on deck, have some cocktails or cafe. Thing is, the water might still be kind of choppy in April, and the air is nice, but is relatively cool.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:12 PM
soph

you can be screwed either way cuz I hate to tell you the ferries in Greece arent all that reliable either (or very clean for that matter). just give yourself extra time between flights for ex: if you are departing Greece 9/30 at 8pm plan to be in Athens by the am on 9/29. Just my advice cuz I have gotten screwed like that in Greece.