Where to go after Santorini

Feb 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
avf
Original Poster

Where to go after Santorini

I am planning to fly to Santorini from Athens for 3-5 days in May and would like to experience a second island 2-3 days before heading back to Athens and home. I am looking for a quiet low key place something totally different from Santorini. I would like to minimize the use of the ferries as seasickness is an issue.
Feb 4th, 2009, 08:45 AM

avf - my husband and I loved Rhodes and if we knew of a place to stay within the walled city - we would have. I believe you'd have to fly back to Athens.
Have a wonderful time - anywhere in Greece brings tears to my eyes by its beauty.
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Unfortunately Rhodes is not very convenient to Santorini unless you're willing to take a long ferry ride or fly back to Athens for another flight, which in itself seems counterproductive to me. The logical choices are those nearby islands that are on the same ferry route back to Athens/Piraeus and which also have airports so you can fly back to Athens from them if you so choose. These would be Naxos and Paros. Both are larger and offer a different sort of experience than Santorini. Olympic Airlines flies between these two islands and Athens.

And if you want something even more diverse go to Paros and catch the frequent little local shuttle ferry across to Antiparos. The seas are normally calm in May so you shouldn't have any problems with the crossing. If you cross from Pounta on the west side of Paros to Antiparos you'll only be on the water for 15 minutes. Getting from Santorini to Paros can be done by highspeed catamaran for the shortest duration, or by the slower but VERY stable large Blue Star car ferry.