Athens to Rhodes flight connection time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is 2.5 hours enough time to arrive Athens (from JFK), collect baggage, clear customs and check into our Aegean Airlines flight to Rhodes?
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 12:38 PM

YEs.

And btw, there is no time required to "clear customs" -- since essentially you just walk by a desk and only stop if you have something to declare. The line-waiting time is instead for PASSPORT CONTROL >. there are 2 lines -- one for EU citizens (very short, not us) and non-EU. This is a bit longer, but if you come on one of the nonstops from N AMerica, these land betwen 9 - 10:30, when few other planes arrive. If you are brisk in disembarking, you'll get thru that line in 20-25 minutes (arriving in AM, about the only time it took a bit longer was when a jumbo jet from China arrived same time -- and this year with their lockdown no chance).

This means you'll get to baggage carousel just about the time your bags circle around ... then its off to an ATM to pick up a few EUros, then take the escaltor to the next floor in the same building, & get in the Aegean line. Plenty of time for coffee etc... the security line for Aegean also moves faast.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 01:00 PM

You will speed things up if you check in online before leaving home. You can do that up to 48 hours in advance of flight departure from Athens. After collecting your bags at the carousel, leave your bags at the drop off point which will be near the Aegean check in counters, where they will be tagged for Rhodes. If you print your boarding passes when you check in online you can proceed to the departure gate without standing in line at the check in counters.
Old May 31st, 2022, 06:40 AM

On a related note, if traveling with only carry on baggage, how much time should one allow from landing from the U.S. to boarding for a connecting flight to an island, specifically, Paros?
Old May 31st, 2022, 07:13 AM

NYlilly-Give yourself at least 1.5 hours.
Old May 31st, 2022, 08:14 AM

Thank you for the response, brotherleelove2004. My Finnair flight from JFK is scheduled to land at 11:35 am and my Aegean departure for Paros is at 1:40. My partner arrives two days later than I do and was booked on the identical flights as me, but he just received an email this morning indicating that his flight to Paros has been cancelled. I'm trying to decide if I should rebook him on the 1:00 pm or the 2:50pm. It will be his first visit to Greece and I'm trying to make the transfer as easy as possible for him without too much stress. Which would you book?
Old May 31st, 2022, 08:24 AM

brotherlee is correct, 1.5 hours should do it, since that morning flight from JFK is 99.9% right on time. Having carry-on baggage means you will not have to wait at baggage claim -- but it does not necessarily mean you will be able to do carry-on for the PAROS flight. It's OK with its larger planes, but if that flight uses a smaller plane, you'd be required to check in your bag.
Old May 31st, 2022, 08:39 AM

Nylilly, is your partner also flying carry-on only? If so, and the flight arrives on time, 1hr 25min should be okay (just), but with little margin for error. I’m one of those people who likes to arrive early, and ends up spending more time than necessary in airport terminals — boring maybe but far less stress. Bearing that in mind I would book the 2:50pm flight to Paros.

There are things to do after check in at the terminal, including a good serve yourself cafeteria on the Departures level, and one floor up a little museum with artefacts discovered when the new airport was built.

EDIT: Paros Airport has larger planes than the ones travelerjan is used to at Naxos. Aegean uses the DH8 400 or ATR-72 aircraft which seat over 70 passengers for flights to Paros. There should be something on the Aegean Airlines or Olympic Air websites that shows dimensions for carry on luggage. If I find it I will reply later.

Last edited by Heimdall; May 31st, 2022 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 31st, 2022, 09:00 AM

Olympic Air/Aegean Airlines carry on baggage allowance:
https://www.olympicair.com/en/travel...nd-essentials/
Old May 31st, 2022, 10:14 AM

Thanks, Heimdall. I had taken a quick look and it seems I'm allowed 2 carry on items. I'll be challenged by the 8 kilo weight limit, but will manage. I'll probably use the Heidi of the Swiss Alps method and wear a couple of layers on the plane! My guy will be in a similar position with carry on only.

Last edited by nylilly; May 31st, 2022 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Add info