Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rhodes taxi tours - VIP or Rhodes Private Tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used either of these 2 companies for a tour of Rhodes or can recommend one?
We are going on a cruise which includes Rhodes. There are 2 taxi tour companies I can find on Google - VIP and Rhodes Private (which also uses VIP services as a description) which have quoted but I'm not sure about Themis who runs the VIP.

VIP is the cheapest tour, but his e-mails appear elusive - he doesn't answer the questions I put. It's obvious RP has a fleet of taxis (300 mentioned) whereas I feel Themis is all on his own and a bit cagey.

Can anyone help?
We just want a half day tour of the old town and Lindos.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Hi, we also are cruising, with a stop in Rhodes. Themis was recommended to me by someone I've hired to tour us in Athens -- just found him on the internet. I share your concerns. Have you any new information about Themis? What is the name of his company? I look forward to your reply.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kaefte,
He's answered quite a few e-mails to me, he has 20 cars and I think he'll be ok, so we've decided that we will go with him.
We are sailing on May 12th - will be in Rhodes on May 21st When are you going? I could let you know after we come back on June 1st.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM

I recently used Nicholas with Rhodes Private Tours/Rhodes Taxi Service and he is exceptional. His attention to so many details was remarkable. For example, we wanted to hike through the Valley of the Butterflies on our way back from Lindos. He took us up to a less well known gate to enter and so we went downhill for the whole trek instead of the uphill jaunt that most people do. We did a lot of hiking and walking that day so appreciated those pampering details. He was so interesting and funny too. We had such an amazing time on our cruise stop in Rhodes and did so many things including a phenomenal lunch at an out-of-the-way place Nicholas recommended. He totally let us set our own pace and was just there to make sure we enjoyed the Rhodes experience. We chatted with some of our fellow cruise ship passengers afterwards and they hadn't been able to do half of what we had done (or enjoyed it nearly as much) through taking a private tour with him. I wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend him to anyone because I am an extremely picky traveler - very detail oriented - and he impressed me. We felt like he really treated us like family. You are going to enjoy Rhodes so much - it is absolutely spectacular. Enjoy!
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM

I would highly recommend Nicholas. We had the absolute pleasure of touring with him in Rhodes last August and we managed to have the best tour of anyone aboard the Silver Whisper. He was absolutely knowledgable of all of the history of rhodes, showed us places that most on the tours aboard the ship missed and we managed to see everything in our short time while many on the ship only did one or two things. I have recommended him to friends who sailed on Regent in the fall and they too have recommended him and his company. You are welcome to email me directly should you wish further information. I am planning another trip in August this year on Seabourn and will be scheduling him for another tour. We let him plan our day and must say that the itinerary was perfect to miss the busy spots, the out of the way photos that we took were the envy of many and the wines he suggested were enjoyed by the sommelier on the ship. The lunch spot was fabulous and a memory that we will cherish. This is my email: [email protected]
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Definetly use Nicholas! He is GREAT. Have toured with him many times with cruise port stops in Rhodes.
He also knows tour guides/drivers in just about every port for greece so he can help you with other places.
Speaking of the "lunch spot' if it was that gorgeous restaurant on the rocks with water crashing below..bluest water and best seafood we have ever tasted.. make sure to ask him about that stop!

Memorable to say the least.