Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens to Antalya, need Itinerary help please;)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a very short trip in a few weeks. Have booked a flight into Athens, and flying out of Antalya,Turkey 11 days later. Plan to spend just a few days in Greece, 1 in athens, 1 ? and 1 island (haven't picked which one yet) 6 days in Turkey, thought we would get to izmir, rent a car and drive the coast to antalya (where i fly out of). Must sees are ephesus, pamakkule and I know it's way out of the way but really want to see cappadocia. I'm stuck on how to get from Athens to Izmir to rent a car, or perhaps we can rent one in Greece? Also not sure of time distance to Cappadocia from Antalya maybe? Any suggestions? I don't plan to drive up north near Istanbul. Skipping that this trip would like to cut over if possible.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:38 PM

I will leave someone else to give you details on the travel in Turkey, but I will help with the Greece part.
As you say that 6 days are for Turkey, that leaves 5 for Greece. Realistically in that time you can see some of Athens & a bit of one island, logically & practically Samos would make sense. You can fly there from Athens, then ferry to Kusadasi. The original 1 day you are planning for Athens is hardly worth it, as you are flying into there I would assume you want to see some of it, allow at least 3 days. Alternative to Samos & still giving you the ferry option (to Cesme)is Chios, but it really is too large for just a couple of days.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 04:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
yiassas has given you good info on getting to turkey from th islands.

Samos to kusadasi is a faster option to visit Ephesus, as you will be travelling only 20 kilometers instead of 90 from Cesme.

the easiest could be two overnights in selcuk, near Ephesus for the sites, maybe even including a quick look at Pamukkale, all with a rental car from Kusadasi.

return car at izmir airport,fly to Istanbul for one or two nights.

Fly to Cappadocia for one or two nights.

fly to Antalya for one or two nights at Belek or Lara which are close to the airport, have beaches and if it is antiquity would be close to perge and Aspendos.

you may need to give up some of this due to your limitations, but the distances are longer than you think although none of the flights are more than 75 minutes.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the advice on getting to turkey through the islands. I was very confused about that. we are cutting istanbul out of this trip due to time constraints. We really have our hearts set on driving the coast once we get to turkey. we could rent the car in izmir rather than flying out and drive to antalya? the major problem is getting to cappadocia because it is a must see and so far out of the way. everything else we want to do see seems to be close together. I heard there was an overnight train from antalya to cappadocia, but that was a few years ago. I'm assuming since this is a popular destination it is still available? anyone know?
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There are no trains to and from Antalya.

There are overnight buses between antalya and cappadocia. Check the website of Varan Turizm, or Metro or Ulusoy.

Otherwise sunexpress or Anadolu Jet flies between Antalya and Cappadocia (Kayseri or Nevsehir) as well as between Izmir and Cappadocia.

There are three or four possible routes from Kusadasi to antalya involving or not involving Pamukkale and Afrodisias.

I think i gave these alternatives on another thread reasonably recently.