tgv from paris to avignon , touring south of france

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be arriving in paris at 1:05 pm at terminal 1 and would like to take train to avignon at 2:28 from tgv station terminal 2. do we have enough time to clear customs, pick up luggage and take shuttle to train station. do we buy tickets ahead of time - what if we miss train or do we buy at station. the next train is at 4pm and not direct. we are planning on renting a car for 7 days to tour south of france then dropping off car in perpignan and taking train to barcelona.
we would like to visit some roman sites, enjoy scenic drives and small medieval villages. suggestions for what to see would be great. our trip is in late october. how far ahead should we book hotels- budget to mid range hotels with free parking
thanks for any help
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:05 AM

My dad used to tell me, "You have two chances, slim and none." That pretty much applies to what your are proposing.

Everything from landing on time, to immigration lines to luggage pickup would have to work in your favor. And, with the luggage carousels and delivery at CDG, in my opinion, being some of the worst in Europe...I'll put it this way, don't purchase a non-exchangeable train ticket for the earlier train.

So, I would purchase the cheapest refundable/exchangeable ticket that I could and hope to get on the 2:28 but have a back-up for the 4:00 pm.

My comments about CDG luggage delivery are about 3 years old--I avoid CDG and checking luggage at all costs. Things may have improved.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:10 AM

First of all, if you are taking the TGV from CDG to Avignon, you should be buying PREM tickets online to realize the significant savings over buying tickets at the station upon arrival. You can do that at www.voyages-sncf.com. Of course, if this trip is coming up soon, you may already have lost that opportunity - you start buying the PREM tickets three months out from your date of departure. If you still have the opportunity to do that, buy them for the 4 pm train.

Second of all, no, you probably don't have a prayer of making that train. A typical landing at CDG has the plane reaching the tarmac at the appointed time, then up to a half-hour to taxi to the gate. Then 45 minutes or so to get luggage and get through immigration, then another half-hour or more to get to the shuttle and get to aérogare 2.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks for replies. I thought probably would be short of time. my other option is to rent car from airport and drive down to avignon. what would be a good stop off point say driving 4 hours. how much would the toll roads be. they seem quite pricey and would prefer avoiding them.
our trip is late oct so will check prices for trains
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:24 AM

I wouldn't drive from CDG to Avignon. Long, expensive, boring drive. It's not your only option. You can go into Paris, if need be, and take a train from the Gare de Lyon. But if the trip is in October, just go online 3 months out from your travel date and buy the PREM tickets for the 4 pm train. You'll have a couple of hours at CDG to have a coffee, check the shops, etc., before the train leaves.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:30 AM

Don't drive - it is horrible trip from CDG starting at 4PM or so (commute traffic in Paris). The drive is not scenic, the sun will be shining in your face the entire trip, you'll want to doze off to recover from jet lag, etc, etc, etc - that is a terrible way to start a vacation.

Take the 4PM TGV.

Stu Dudley
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks for advice. will purchase train tickets 3 mo in advance and avoid long drive. which are the better seats on train -upper or lower level and are 2nd class seat roomy enough
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM

Second class seats are about as roomy as business class on airplanes - perhaps a little more room. However, often PREM first class seats are not much more expensive than 2nd class. When we land at CDG & have a 3 hr TGV ride in front of us, we usually purchase 1st class seats. More room for luggage in 1st class.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

we are planning on dropping off our rental car at perpignan and taking train to barcelona. there is a talgo and tgv train-what is best and cheapest and should tickets be purchased ahead of time. the talgo train does not appear on sncf site. this will be in early november
thanks