Athens/Mikonos in winter

Dec 4th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Nicholas

Athens/Mikonos in winter

I posted earlier but under a poor heading. So I'll try again...any suggestions?
Message: We have an opportunity to visit Athens this year just after Christmas for 5-6 days. We wanted to try a night or two on Mykonos (and maybe a day trip to Delos). Many questions like:
Where should we plan to be for a New Years celebration (Athens or Mykonos)? Is there an easy way to figure out which hotels are open? Can we expect bargains on rates? There are 10 in my family including children. Don't know when we'll get this opportunity again so we are trying to squeeze it all in. Thanks

Dec 4th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Carolina

There will be more going on in Athens
Almost all hotels will be open, the easiest way to check is to telephone the hotel you are interested in and ask. I have never come across a Greek hotel where English isn't spoken. Just ask the person who answers the phone if they speak English.
I doubt you will get cheap rates as this is the Christmas holiday period.
Again, you are more likely to be successful if you e mail or phone the hotel. Sometimes it is a good idea to find their web site, see what the going rate is, and if possible check availability. Then, before making a booking, contact the hotel and see if you can do any better.
One other idea, look at Easyjet's Octopus hotel section, they often have decent rates and have been reliable in my experience.

Dec 5th, 2002, 12:04 AM
jef-europe

1/Mykonos is out of season and i do not know wich hotel is open.

Of course you will get super-rates.

an other option is to visit a bigger island like Corfu ,rhodes or crete where all activities are operational.

2/in athens all hotels have special rates for christmas and new years eve and you can get 5 stars for 130 us dol per night b/b.
these rates are available only with a direct contact with the hotels.

I suggest the divani apollon(with an indoor pool and spa) in kavouri (25 min by taxi fron city center) where a splendid 'reveillon ' gala night is organised.

or a cheaper hotel in athens plaka area like the herodion and then book a table in a restaurant or a club.

Dec 5th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Carolina

I would not advise a visit to Corfu in winter. Rather than being opertional, it is virtually shut from late October onwards. There is a bit of life in the capitol, Corfu Town, but more is shut than is open.
Rhodes, in contrast, has some life - centered mainly around Rhodes Town.
Mykonos will be pretty quiet, if you decide to stay there, only consider staying in town.
I would advise remaining in Athens for the full trip, which is short anyway, and, if you wish take a day trip or two to nearby islands. Aegina, Poros and Hydra can easily be visited from Athens.
Another idea: beingas you mention Delos, consider a day trip to some of the historical sites on the Peloponnese.

Dec 5th, 2002, 05:55 AM
jef-europe

i agree with Carolina.

or
a combination of Rhodes(the island is a beauty with upscale hotesl/shopping/restaurants )and you will have a better weather than anywhere else in Greece) and Athens

or a full stay in athens with daily excursions to hydra/delphi

Search this Thread