Annexe Hotel in London?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:29 AM
Angela

Annexe Hotel in London?

Has anyone stayed at the Annexe Hotel B&B on Hugh Street in Victoria? Smoothhound has it listed at a very inexpensive price, and their website looks ok. I am just looking for an inexpensive, clean room in a decent area for a short trip next month.
Also, thank you to everyone who posts here. This has been a great resource for me as I plan my trips.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:12 AM
Dave

Angela,

I've booked the Annexe for the last week of November at 22GBP for a single. I haven't stayed there before, so I'm taking a chance, but it is very close to Victoria Station, which is a big plus for me.

My only real concern is cleanliness. I haven't been able to find any reviews or ratings. I guess if it is too bad I will get it taken care of or try to find another place.

From the maps I've seen, it looks like the railway lines from Victoria may be just behind the hotel, so noise could be a problem, if that concerns you.

In the past I've stayed at Luna&Simone Hotel, which is a few blocks further from Victoria (closer to Pimlico Tube Station) along Belgrave Road. A single there is around 35GBP.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 12:42 PM
Angela

Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I haven't been able to find any reviews, either, but find your information reassuring as far as the area (train noise I can handle!).

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:00 AM
Dave

Just returned ...

Re the Annexe Hotel. Apparently there are several places along Hugh Street under the same management - reception is in Holly House Hotel and my room ended up being in Ivy House Hotel.

The room was only as clean as it had to be, and the mattress was barely sleepable (and I've spent a lot of time camping, so I'm not picky). My front-facing room was fairly quite, but there are railway lines behind so noise could be a serious problem for rear-facing rooms.

The real low-point was the shared shower. I've seen some pretty amazing convert-a-closets in my trips to Britain, but this one took the prize. Shower, toilet, and sink in a 3ft x 4ft room (no joke). And this was NOT en-suite! On the positive side, I'm much more flexible now than I was two weeks ago.

Bottom line: I got a great internet rate, but even so this room barely cleared my minimum threshhold (which is pretty low). If I had paid much more than 22GBP I would have been very unhappy.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Angela

Dave,
I had EXACTLY the same experience! I also ended up at Ivy House, in a front room, with that amazing box of a shower room. The room was barely more than a closet, which I expected. However, it REEKED of stale smoke and mustiness, which almost killed me--I am a non-smoker, but I think this was to such an extent even a smoker would have been bothered. For 22 pounds a night, it was (almost) bearable. The upside to me was the proximity to Victoria Station.