Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Luna & Simone Hotel Near Victoria Station in London

Dec 23rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be taking our 14-year-old daughter in July, 2010. Can anyone tell me the good, the bad and/or ugly for this hotel and location for sightseeing, restaurants etc. Can't afford top of the line, but would like safe, clean, comfortable place to lay our heads. Thanks in advance.
Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM

I have never stayed there since I normally rent flats -- often in the same general neighborhood. I have walked by the L&S MANY times and stepped inside once or twice.

The location is very convenient, walking distance to Victoria and Pimlico tube stations, Victoria train station and things like Tate Britain and Buckingham Palace.

It comes very highly recommended by other Fodorites who have stayed there. I understand it is not as cheap as it used to be - but that is most likely because it is very popular and does get booked up. Victoria is absolutely full of similar B&B hotels and L&S seems to be one of the best in the area.
Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM

I have heard good things about it but have never stayed there. The location is good. Check it out in the reviews on Tripadvisor for more info.I always find my Europe hotels from here and reviews on Tripadvisor.
Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:39 AM

I stayed there for four nights two years ago. VERY convenient - the #24 bus stops literally at the door, and goes to Trafalgar Square and points beyond. Rooms are tiny, plainly furnished, but sparkling clean. Breakfast is substantial. Best of all are the twin brothers who run the place -- they are a delight.
Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM

I have tried to make reservation at Luna and Simone and they are always booked solid. That in itself is a good sign. Maybe one day I 'll get lucky and score a room.
Dec 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM

My daughter stayed there in April in a single room, she loved it. The breakfast was good, room was clean and simple and she really loved the area.
Dec 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM

The main problem is that there isn't a Tube station on the doorstep so unless you are willing to wheel luggage for 10-15 minutes when going to / from it you'll really need to get a taxi from Victoria.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=SW1V+2BB
Dec 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM

"unless you are willing to wheel luggage for 10-15 minutes when going to / from it you'll really need to get a taxi from Victoria."

If I was taking the tube - I'd probably use the Pimlico station since it is closer than Victoria. And if one packs light the walk isn't bad at all. Though there are stairs to exit Pimlico sta. But if one has a lot of luggage or the weather is nasty - it would be a short/cheap cab ride from Victoria.
Dec 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM

I have stayed there with my 82 year old mother and we both walked from Victoria with roller suitcases. Pimlico is a little closer but there isn't really a lot in it.

The hotel is clean, safe and the buildings in the area are lovely. They serve a complimentary breakfast that I wouldn't bother with as it consists of tea or instant coffee, toast and marmalade and a boiled egg.

I would definitely stay there again as it is cheap, convenient, comfortable and the two men who run it are very friendly, extremely helpful and knowledgeable about sightseeing in London.
Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

We are booked for a visit in July. Thanks to all for taking the time to respond.
Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM

I guess it's okay if you like that area, but I prefer an area that offers mores transport opportunities, and more services like Internet cafes, laundries, cafes ,coffee shops and walking distance to museums
Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM

avalon: "I prefer an area that offers mores transport opportunities, and more services like Internet cafes, laundries, cafes ,coffee shops and walking distance to museums"

The area does provide all of those things Tate Britain is practically on the doorstep. Victoria station is a major transport hub. There are lots of cafes/laundries/services.
Jan 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM

You'll have no regrets at the L&S. Having tried many other hotels over the years, it's now my London choice and after 4 stays, most recently in September, not a complaint.

Although their breakfast is not a true "full English", it's included and consists of eggs(a couple of ways), baked beans, OJ, toast, cereal, coffee/tea in a spotless room in the basement where it's served by the 2 friendly, gracious and helpful brothers/owners. If daughter likes hot chocolate with her breakfast I hear and have seen from the happy faces that it's pretty good stuff.

Make good use of the bus #24?? which stops in front of the hotel & which will get you to Victoria Station in about 4 minutes or less and Buck Palace/Westminster/Big Ben in about 10+/-; another few minutes up Whithall to Trafalgar Square, Portrait Gallery, etc. It runs 24/7 but if you need a cab for some reason, there's usually one going by that you can flag down; I've never waited for more than a few minutes.

I prefer the bus to the Tube and use if for above-ground, 2nd level views (unless long distances). If you do decide on the Tube, Pimlico stop is closer than Victoria stop and you don't have to deal with the "zoo" that Victoria and area can be at times with the crowds and traffic.

For eating in the immediate area my favourites are "O Solo Mio" (not surprisingly Italian) almost next door to L&S, and around the corner is "Seafresh" for, obviously, fish. They also do a booming takeout business via a separate entrance. A bowl of their fish soup with fresh bread and a beer is lovely for a cheap lunch or a light supper. They also do many tasty concoctions of different seafood from simple fish and chips to fancier. There's a few other restaurant/pub choices nearby and a supermarket, including takeaway stuff, enroute to Victoria.

If you want any advice on any London topic, or have an issue with the hotel (which I doubt) ask one of the brothers or any of the front desk staff (usually family members too)and they will go the extra mile to help.

Have fun.
Jan 3rd, 2010, 02:15 PM

I seem to recall reading the there is no elevator in this hotel. Anybody know?
Jan 3rd, 2010, 03:53 PM

No elevator - that's correct. We were on the top floor -- five flights up IIRC.
Jan 3rd, 2010, 04:26 PM

That would be a deal breaker for us.