athens hotel-which of 4?

Search

athens hotel-which of 4?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
athens hotel-which of 4?

We are a family of 4 plus toddler sharing a room in Athens. We have inquired into the following hotels:
Attolos Hotel- 128 euros
Hermes Hotel -165 euros
Adams Hotel (2 rooms) 135 euros
Athos Hotel - 140 euros
We want to be near nightlife where teens can walk safely at night. Also have to leave for airport on second night at 4 am
Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I have stayed at the Attalos, but not at the other three.

The Attalos is a reliable budget hotel without much charm and with very small bathrooms. That being said it is very conveniently located to everything you will likely want to see and to the metro. As you discovered, it is a good value. The Attalos is on the edge of the Psyrri district which has many restaurants and clubs, some that your teenagers should enjoy. Plaka is a couple blocks away.

While I haven't stayed at the other hotels, I can comment on their location. The Hermes and Athos Hotels are closer to Syndagma Square than the Attalos, which makes them more convenient to the 24 hour airport bus (see below), but farther from teenage acceptable nightlife. The Adams Hotel is inside Plaka, but much farther away from the nightlife in Psyrri, and generally (for what I like to do) not as conveniently located as the Attalos.

As for getting to the airport, I've been in your situation many many times! When I was younger I took the 24 hour airport bus from Syndagma. Now, what with aging and luggage, we always take a taxi. Any hotel can arrange for a taxi to pick you up at any hour you designate. It takes about 20 minutes at that time of the morning to get from central Athens to the airport. But if you don't want to spring for a taxi, there is the airport bus, that runs 24 hours a day from Syndagma. It is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Attalos to the bus stop.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM

I stayed at the Attalos Hotel at the end of November and will stay there again on any future visit to Athens. After reading numerous comments from many people on various web sites, including Fodors, I opted for the Attalos and was not disappointed. It is not a 4-star hotel, but the price is right, location is great, and it is clean. Also, the reception desk people were very helpful.

I reserved a single and was given a double room, which had lots of space, and the bathroom was not the small one some people refer to. So, I lucked out.

The location is perfect with lots of resaurants nearby. The Plaka is only about 3 minutes away by foot. Also, there is a metro/underground station about 50 meters away. You get on the train at the airport and take it to the last station, near the hotel. Walk out of the station, turn to the left. The hotel is on that side of the street about 40 or 50 meters away. That's really convenient! It sure beats taking a shuttle, taxi, or whatever and fighting traffic. And it is much cheaper.

I must say, that the breakfast advice given by others is very true. Skip it at the hotel and save yourself 8 Euros. I walked down the street and found lots of places to eat ---- both better food and better price.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the information. It is exactly what I needed. I was having trouble figuring what location was best for teens out at night. Also I printed it so we can get to/from airport. We will stay at the Attalos. Thanks again!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Have fun! FYI, the metro doesn't start running until about 5:30 am, so for your early morning departure you are stuck with the taxi or bus options. But anytime the metro is running it is definitely the best way to and from the airport.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:49 PM

I too am a fan of Attalos primarily due to it's inexpensive price, location and the rooftop bar with the view of the Acropolis.
What time of year are you planning on visiting. We have always stayed in May and June and the pricesyou quote seem a bit high to me. We have always found that booking through Uli at Dolphin Hellas in Athens has provided us with better rates than we could find on the internet.
If on the othe hand you are staying in July or August those prices are probably pretty good.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

We are going in July. I booked through internet and I have seen others who have said it was cheaper through travel agent but I hate to cancel. Is it significantly cheaper? Also we were thinking of taking the bus to airport to save money. Is it reliable? Thanks for info!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:49 AM

The bus to the airport is reliable.

Hopefully, someone else will answer with the dolphin-hellas rates. I checked out booking through them some years ago, but was put off by their requirement that you pay in advance, which I didn't want to do.