Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get to Athens from airport at night

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping someone can help me. I am a woman arriving at 10:45 at night (22:45) at the Athens Airport. I will only have carry-on luggage (I hope!)

a) Is it possible for me to take the bus or train into Athens at that hour? I read that the train stops at 12:30 (24:30). will there be enough time to take the bus to the train?

b) And which bus/train would I take to get me near the Attalos Hotel? Where do I get off the bus?

c) Is there anyone who can describe what I should do once I am through customs? eg Where do I go to find the bus? Or is it well marked enough that I need not be concerned.

d) I am assuming there will be an ATM so I can get Euros there. But just in case, I thought I'd make sure.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give me. I am just concerned about the arrival hour.

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:37 PM

Hi, I was in AThens 2 years ago and stayed in the hotel Attalos. I have forgotten most of the details to be honest but did remember taking the bus from the airport (airport limousine/bus) to the city.

However, the nearest stop to Hotel Attalos is still quite a walk away and I remembered we got lost for a little bit (and it was in the day). I used a backpack but do recall that the streets were not smooth so it'd be fairly difficult if you have other types of luggage.

So maybe it's not such a good idea taking the bus in the middle of the night even if buses were available at that time. The bus stop was right outside a garden and near to the parliament square (or the place where the changing of guards take place). From there, it's about a 10 minute walk through the shops and Plaka area before reaching Attalos.

However, there is a subway station right next to the hotel, so if it is possible, perhaps the subway is the better option.

Sorry for being so vague but that's all I could remember and I've already deleted all my notes.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:28 AM

Hi

I stayed at the Attalos last week. It was excellent. We took the metro from the airport. It was 5 euro and a 45 minute trip. Get off at the Monastiraki stop and then it's just a 200 metre walk to the Attalos.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:01 AM

i believe if you buy a day pass for metro/bus, it is good for 24 hrs. so you can use it the next day, too.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful advice. vague memories of walking on cobblestones make things pretty clear! I am getting a better picture now. I still am not sure if I can get to the metro at that hour.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Hi

Check out http://www.ametro.gr for operating hours.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Hi Ahulani,
The metro is a great way to go. For a single person the fare is 6€. It is 5€ if 2 or more people are traveling together. This ticket is good ONLY for the airport-Athens ride.
Don't forget to validate your ticket before getting on the train. They do check and fine you on the spot if you don't have a valid ticket.
The train station is directly across from the airport. You would take a walkway to get there. After you exit the airport, it should take no more than 10 minutes to get to the ticket window.
Follow the signs to the trains (Yes, in English). When you exit the airport, you will see a bridge next to the Sofitel Hotel with moving walkways. This will take you directly to the ticket sales windows.

The 24 hr metro pass is a separate ticket. Prior to beginning of this year, you could use the airport ticket as the 24 hr pass but no more.

If you don't make the metro (preferred way), the bus runs 24/7. The signs are well-situated.

ATMs are very plentiful in the arrival area after customs. I think I saw 4-5 of them.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

dear worldinabag and nibblette (love your names!)
This is exactly what I need. Nibblette, you are totally fabulous. Thank you for paying such close attention to what I was asking. Yippee! i also just found out from my hotel what the metro stop is and it is nearby. So that is what I will be doing. Thank you again for soothing my anxieties.