Athens Hotel

Aug 17th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Athens Hotel

Morning- We're coming into Rafina port mid-day Saturday. We then fly out of Athens mid-day Sunday. Any suggestions for what area of Athens we should stay? Should we go into Athens or stay near airport? Thanks in advance!
Aug 17th, 2009, 04:00 AM

I think it would be nice to stay in Athens, you will have some time to explore on the Saturday afternoon. You could have dinner at a restaurant in the Plaka and go to Syntagma Square and see the changing of the guard. Or you could explore some of the fascinating churches. Then of course, there is the Acropolis which is quite amazing. Sunday morning at least you shouldn't have to worry too much about traffic on the way to the airport.
Aug 17th, 2009, 04:02 AM

I forgot to say that if you need a tip for a fabulous luxury hotel, we stayed at the Athens NJV Plaza hotel and loved it. We were the only Australians as far as I could tell. All of the other guests seemed to be Americans and Greeks. We were lucky enough to be given a suite with a view of the Acropolis. I was so sad to leave!!
Aug 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM

If you have last-minute things to do in Athens then stay near Syntagma Square so you can take the bus back to the airport. Check the Arethusa, Pan, Metropolis and Amazon Hotels.

If you just want to relax at your hotel then stay at Peri's. You can take the bus from Rafina to the Airport, and they will pick you up there and return you the next day for your flight home. Since they're about the same distance from the airport and Rafina both, they might even pick you up in Rafina. It doesn't hurt to ask.

http://www.perishotelapt.gr
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM

I would probably go into Athens for some last minute sightseeing/shopping/entertainment. Somewhere around Syntagma Square would be handy for the X95 bus to the airport Sunday morning.

If you don't want to go into Athens, suggest you stay in Rafina. Hotel Avra is reasonable, and there are some good fish tavernas nearby for your evening meal. The bus to the airport from Rafina takes only about 20 minutes.