Athens Airport 5 hour layover - Rafina?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have a 5 hour layover in late May (from 1 to 6 p.m.) before I fly to Santorini. I have done a search here and a couple of people suggested Rafina. I would like to get out of the airport and get a nice meal/couple of drinks and walk around a bit. How long would it take to get to Rafina by bus or taxi? What would be the cost and time to get there? Am I cutting it too close with a 5 hour layover and potential rush hour traffic back to the airport? Any suggestions for things to see and places to eat in Rafina? Thanks.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Go to this website:

http://www.aia.gr/EN/passenger_infor...body.shtm#pin1

Click on: "Rafina-Athens Airport"

You will see the bus schedule for the Airport-Rafina-Airport.

Theoretically you can catch a 2:10 pm bus to Rafina, which takes about 30 minutes, then take a bus back to the airport at 4 pm. It doesn't give you much time, only an hour or so. I'm not sure it's worth it. What do you think?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Apparently that link doesn't work. Go to www.aia.gr/EN, click on Transportation and Parking, then again on 'by bus,' then scroll down to 'Rafina-Athens Airport'
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:48 AM

You do have enough time to get to Rafina and back, but whether or not it is worth it to see a scruffy port area is up to you. Check in for your domestic flight before you leave the airport, and you can go straight to the departure gate upon return.

Central Athens by metro is only an extra 15 min each way, so that would also be a possibility.

If you don't want to take the risk of leaving the airport, you could stroll over to the Sofitel for a late lunch. It's only a five minute walk from the terminal, so that wouldn't give you much chance to stretch your legs. Once inside the Sofitel, though, it's hard to believe you're still at the airport, and a pleasant change from the smoky restaurants in the departure lounge.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies brotherleelove and Heimdall. 1 hour and 50 minutes in Rafina and making it back to the airport by bus might be cutting it a little close. We will be staying 4 days in Athens at the end of our vacation (Hotel Attalos) so the 5 hour layover might be a good time to metro into Athens get a quick bite, find the hotel and get acquainted with the area and get back to the airport.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 04:36 AM

We are doing the same trip but in Sept. so thanks for posting the question. Please know that any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing how your trip went. Have a great vacation.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:42 PM

You say you might take the metro to Athens and back during your 5-hour layover - but consider:

You can't just hop on a metro from a central city station (say, Monastiraki, which is logical if you want to be in the area of the Attalos Hotel) and just ride directly to the airport. You will ride the regular metro train for about 30 minute to a station at the end of the regular line, at which point you must get off and wait (it can be 30 minutes or more) for another special train to the airport. This train will take another 20 minutes or so to get to the airport. So count on AT LEAST 50 - 60 minutes to get from central Athens to the airport.

I am not sure if you have to do this to get from the airport to town but I imagine so.

Oh, and the tickets for the special airport metro train are about 10 euros each.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Resipsaloquitur-

Actually, yes, you can. It must have been awhile since you were in Athens, because the Metro from Monastiraki stops at Syntagma Square then goes all the way to the airport in about 1/2 hour for 6 Euro pp, 10 euro for 2 persons and 15 euor for 3.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Brotherleelove is correct. Many improvements were made in Athens for the Olympics, and that was one of them.

There are special airport trains, so you need to make sure you are on the right one when you head back, but you don't need to change between airport and city anymore. The airport trains are new, quiet, and air-conditioned, making the trip into Athens very pleasant.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 02:53 PM

A one-way metro ticket from the airport to Athens is €6, but a return (round-trip) ticket is €10.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM

The return Metro ticket must be used within 48 hours of purchase.