Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7 hour layover - enough time to get a glimpse of athens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 7 -hour layover on a flight to from madrid to egypt... is that enough time to be able to leave the airport and see something, or should i not bother? on my list would be to see the acropolis, but i don't know if i would be risking a missed flight...
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM

We flew into Athens about 3 AM and were in our hotel a few blocks from the accropolis by about 4 or 4:30. You won't have to deal with luggage, but you'll have to allow time for the immigration stuff and then re-entering the airport and going through security. I do think if you don't have any big delay getting out of the airport you could at least get a taxi to the acropolis, maybe walk around a little while and head back to the airport.
We drove in while it was dark and the acropolis was beautiful, all lit up. Wouldn't be able to walk around during those hours, though.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM

You should have ample time.

You can take the metro into Athens
from the airport. Get off at Syntagma Square, walk down hill to the left, cross the street and grab a cab to the Acropolis. The fare was 6 euros in May 2008.

There's also an express bus from the airport to Syntagma that takes about the same amount of time. Number 98.

From the Acropolis your ticket gives
you admission to the ancient Agora... once through it you can exit in the Plaka.

Take either Ermou or Mitropoleos Street to walk back to Syntagma.

You'll want to give yourself 2-3 hours at the airport before your flight out. Figure on about an hour
and a half for travel in and out of town. So you might only have about 3 hours of sightseeing but that's
better than sitting in an airport for 7 hours!

Rob