Search

ATHENS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATHENS

My husband and I will be in Athens for 3 days end July before joining a mediterranean cruise. Would appreciate itinerary suggestions of what to see and do in Athens. Thank you
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM

Well, apart from the Acropolis, their great archeological museum and wandering the Plaka, you could, if time permits, do a day trip to Dephi, a beautiful set of ruins (and home to the oracle!). If I remember correctly, it's about a 2 hour bus ride from Athens. Enjoy.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spend some time browsing this site: www.athensguide.com - more info than you can absorb about Athens.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:31 PM

You could also take a daytrip from the port in Piraeus to the beautiful island of Hydra, which has been called the Nantucket of Greece, maybe because of the stone mansions from the 18th and 19th century that line the waterfront. Anyway, I think it's much nicer than Nantucket!

Trip time by hydrofoil is only 1.5 hours, and the hydrofoils run frequently ( I think on the hour?) during the summer months back and forth from Athens.

There are no cars allowed on the island, but there are plenty of daytrippers, cats, dogs, and donkeys.

I found really beautiful handmade jewelry and clothes at some of the boutiques along the waterfront, most of it made right in Hydra. There are also some excellent galleries owned by local artists, and very good tavernas.

If you take a right from the port where your boat arrives, and make your way up the steep path that winds around the island, you will be rewarded with the most beautiful view of the water. Along the way, there is a wonderful seafood restaurant on the right hand side. It's only been there about a year, and it has great views of the water. I can't remember the name of it- sorry!

While there are no real beaches, there are plenty of spots where you can swim off the rocks.

We visited a few weeks ago, and are already scheming about how to get back there!

In Athens itself, you will definitely want to explore the Plaka, which runs very close to Syntagma Square. It's a big mostly car-free area with some great shopping,( ceramics, jewelry, antiques, souvenirs) little cafes, and home to one of the oldest ( maybe the oldest?) church in Athens.

Also The Benaki Museum is quite interesting.

Another resource for Athens that I find particularly helpful is Matt Barrett's guide. He lives in Greece, and offers lots of excellent information.

Have a great time!

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM

It is going to be really hot in Athens and the Athenian sun is fierce. I would see the Acropolis one morning, and the Agora another morning, and then slip into the museums in the afternoons.

In the evening, I might spring for dinner atop Lycebettus hill one night, and then a good outdoor taverna another night.

In the high heat of the afternoon, I would either snooze in my hotel or join the Athenians in one of their beautiful cafes, often fitted out with sofas and lounges, and sip iced coffee. Some of the prettiest ones can be found around the Kolanaki district. Ask your hotel staff for recommendations.

In general, I would enjoy the monuments in the morning, but otherwise relax and nibble on the delicious fresh food all day.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all those who replied. Will definately look up more info on the Athensguide. Tks thursdaysd.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I loved Athens, but I was there in March. It would be harder to enjoy in the heat. The acropolis, the ancient agora, the Monastiraki flea market, restaurants in the Psirri district, early morning at the central market, rembetika music at Stoa Athanaton in the meat market building.

I also think a day trip to Delphi would be worth considering. A gorgeous site in the mountains redolent of history and myth.

You might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34589254

Photos:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-b9k6sz

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM

If you're into parks and gardens, make sure to pay a visit to the National Gardens by Syntagma Square. A great way to beat the heat and tourists (and a good place for photography nuts)!