ath-santorini-milos

Search

ath-santorini-milos

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ath-santorini-milos

I'd love any feedback on an itinerary for our trip to Greece next July/August 07. We are there for just one week, and know we'd like to see Santorini and Milos. Any ideas on the feasibility of this:

Fri. 7/27 arr. Athens around 9:30pm. Hotel in Athens.
Sat.: See major Athens sights. Board night ferry for Santorini (last year's left 22:00)
Sun: Arrive Santorini 7:40 am. Tour Santorini. Stay at Esperas or Volcano Villas
Mon.: Day in Santorini
Tues.: Depart Santorini for Milos (fly both legs through Athens? Or ferry through Folegandros?) Arrive Milos by dinner. Stay at Limeri or Villa Notos (other suggestions?)
Wed: Day in Milos
Thurs.: Morning in Milos. Fly to Athens 5:10pm. Hotel in Athens
Fri.: Depart Athens around noon.

Couple questions: Can you count on the Hellenic Seaways overnight ferry (I know last year was every night except Tuesday leaving 10 pm, arriving 7:30ish)? Are there other Ath-San overnight ferries? We'd like to do the overnight b/c it'll give us a taste of Greek ferries (cruising into Santorini seems highly rated) and it saves us hotel $ and travel time. Any pro/cons I should know?

What to do with luggage when we arrive so early in Santorini? Will we be able to stow our luggage at the hotels before check-in time?

Has anyone travelled between Santorini and Milos via ferry in high season? I know they aren't easily connected islands, but I've read there's a San-Folegandros-Milos ferry. Is it reliable? decent times?

Thanks for any advice. This forum has already helped so much!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 09:32 AM

You can check with www.gtp.gr for ferry schedules, but any schedules for next July won't be posted until the beginning of summer. As far as the reliability of the ferries, if there is a posted timetable you can assume that the ferry company will be doing its best to be on time, but there can be unpublished changes and last-minute delays that might affect your plans. ALWAYS check locally for updates, as close to departure time as possible.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Hi abigailm,

Last year (we were there in July) there was a high speed catamaran that went from Santorini to Milos with a stop in Folegandros. I don't remember the name of the company but I don't expect you'd have any problems getting there in high season. I think we had a couple of options for departure times.

I'm not a fan of the slow ferries in Greece. They just take too long and since you have a really tight schedule I'd suggest you look at flying to Santorini - it's about a 40 minute flight and Aegean have great prices (http://www.aegeanair.com/aegeanen/home/index.asp). The first time I went to Santorini it was on the overnight ferry and although it was nice to see it from the water, it's not half as nice as getting there in 40 minutes.

I understand your desire to see as much as possible but I think you'll feel rushed with this itinerary. Would you consider only Athens and Santorini? Spend Saturday and Sunday in Athens, fly to Santorini on Monday and then fly back to Athens on Thursday. I think you'll enjoy both places more but you know how you like to travel so it's just a suggestion.

If you do decide to keep Milos we saw Villa Notos when we were there last year and it looks really nice. I like the location too - on a little cove, just around the corner from the main harbour area. I think with your limited time it would be better to stay in Adhamas. Limeri looks quite isolated and I don't remember there being much around Sarakiniko. Also in Adhamas, check out Villa Helios. It has a great location above the harbour. You'll need a car to see the best of Milos - another thing to keep in mind.

Jana
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback... I have come up with different schedule, still going to Santorini and Milos ((my husband and I can't agree on just one), but I've nixed the overnight ferry and found a way to cut out the last night in Athens which will buy us one more night on each island...
Fri. 7/27 arr. Athens around 9:30pm. Hotel in Athens.
Sat.: Fly to Milos midday. Hotel in Milos.
Sun: Day in Milos
Mon.: Day in Milos
Tues.: Depart Milos to go to Santorini (fly through Athens or ferry) Hotel in Santorini
Wed: Day in Santorini
Thurs.: Day in Santorini
Fri.: Depart Santorini on early flight to Athens (found one at 7:15 am Aegean) Depart Athens at 12:50pm (Easyjet to London)

Thanks for the ferry advice.

Some lodging questions: Any guidance on Oia hotels for under 220 Euro a night? Esperas gets great reviews, but we could only afford their Studios or Traditional houses -- are they ok? Are there other hotels similar in quality/price I should be looking at? (we want a pool)

And finally -- How far in advance should I be booking rooms?

Sorry for all the questions! But thanks in advance, as I know there are so many wise travelers out there...
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM

The Traditional Houses at Esperas are OK. The pool is also OK but not terribly inviting and few used it during our stay.