At last, Italy!

Apr 17th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

At last, Italy!

Greetings those that have gone before me! I have booked 6 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Florence and the last night in Orvieto. A car has been pre- rented for the leg leaving Rome. My Florence hotel has parking and is located on the fringes of the historic district. On the last full day I am driving to over night in Orvieto and leaving for the Rome airport the next morning for a 12:20 PM flight. I am thinking of seeing Assisi on the way to Florence and Siena on the way to Orvieto. Am I asking for too much of a good thing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr 17th, 2004, 10:06 AM
rex

A little bit, you are - - but if you are an early riser, you will do fine.

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

rex, thank you, I will be sure to bring my alarm clock. Regards, Bob
Apr 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM
ira

Hi in,

I agree with Rex.

I also suggest that you drop a day from Rome so that you can take a drive through Tuscany.
Apr 17th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Ira, thank you for your response, it could be difficult to change my hotel and car rental reservations at this time. Perhaps instead of going to Siena I could take a drive through the Tuscany countryside toward Orvieto. Which would you recommend? Would you recommend a particular route? The tour books don't seem to agree on Tuscany tours and I am quite confused. Regards, Bob
Apr 17th, 2004, 08:36 PM
rex

You could visit Orvieto as a 12 hr long day trip, using up one of your days in Rome, without getting exhausted, and without having to make any changes to your existing reservations. Then on your one night in Orvieto, you can arrive as late as you want because you will have already seen the town, and you will know exactly how to get to your hotel.

That makes an early morning departure from Florence more than adequate to give you a very full day in Siena and still arrive in Orvieto to get night's sleep. You might even be able to tool through the Tuscan countryside - - for example between Siena and Arezzo during the late afternoon, early evening.

This would require no change in your existing reservations and concrete plans.
Apr 17th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Rex, thank you for your response. Perhaps I could leave one day early from Rome and spend the night in Assisi. Changing reservations would be a hassle but the more I look at Assisi the more fascinating it appears. Also I would have to park my car. On my last full day I could see Siena and drive through Tuscany as you suggested. I would arrive at Orvieto in time for dinner and stroll through the streets. I feel like a kid at the candy store. More, more, more!