Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I know I should post this on the US forum... but anyhow... a question abot Yosemite (vaguely in the context of Venice?)

I know I should post this on the US forum... but anyhow... a question abot Yosemite (vaguely in the context of Venice?)

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:09 AM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I "know" all of you all better here... and as I implied in the header, there is at least an analogy/"context" to questions that get asked here all the time about Venice.

We are planning a family post-graduation trip (USC, our middle daughter - - wow, did those four years go fast!) for May - - about 9 nights, with the first two in LA itself for the graduation. The rest of the itinerary is still in flux, but we are pretty cerain about the last two nights: in Yosemite (flying back home from Sacramento at noon the next day after our second night there).

So, for those fo you who can put this in a context of Europe destinations (and maybe there simply is no good analogy) - - and if you know specific properties in Yosemite personally - - can you make a recommendation?

I have read quite a number of threads on the US forum - - including a very nice posting by Patrick - - and I am struck by how similar they sound to the same advice "we" all frequently give here about Venice: you must stay IN, not simply nearby.

But of course, "IN" Yosemite can mean two different things: IN the valley? or to what extent can "in the park" be considered a reasonable alternative? There are a number of private homes/lodges in the Wawona area, but they are probably a good half hour from the valley, and it adds more like an hour to our getaway (headed for Sacramento airport) the final morning.

So, I think our choice will likely boil down to Yosemite Lodge (if we can get rooms there, trying only four months out), versus some place(s) in the El Portal area. As background, we stayed in Yosemite Lodge in 1981 - - when our 23 year old daughter was 5 months old. It was incredibly magical - - I am a lot more jaded now, and I think that the Yosemite Lodge is going to seem rather Motel 6 by today's standards - - and I know it can never compare to my rose-colored nostalgic memories of that trip 23 years ago.

And I feel like the Ahwanee really is NOT an option. There are seven of us (includes one boyfriend and my wife's mother) - - so that time two nights is really at least $1000 (if not $1500) more than we would like to spend.

So, if you know Yosemite - - and/or have perspectives to share on this, I will greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:28 AM

One of the best things about Europe is the ability to eat well AND enjoy the outdoors/surroundings.

After one trip to Yosemite (6 days), I think the choice of where to stay depends on your food needs. We stayed at the Cedar Lodge in El Portal, which was fine, but there isn't a town, or restaurants. My husband thinks that next time we should stay in Oakhurst, which has restaurants, then we could spend the day in the park, go back to the motel to clean-up and go out for a nice dinner.

The drive from El Portal to the valley IS pretty short, though.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:33 AM
rex
Original Poster

Since it comes at the end of our trip, I am not opposed to maing a trip to a grocery store (in transit) serve our dining needs for most of our short stay there. After all, we MIGHT still go into the Ahwanee for dinner our last night.

I do read some horror stories about how a drive from El Portal into the heart of the valley can take up to 45 minutes? Seems impossible - - maybe not a reason to choose one locaton versus another?

I'll read up about the Cedar Lodge... thanks!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:33 AM

I always would prefer staying in the park. Even though it gets outrageously crowded in summer, it shouldn't be to bad in May. Plus by late in the afternoon until late morning, all of the day visitors are gone. If they are fully booked now keep trying because they do have cancellations. We have also rented homes on Bass Lake which is about a 30 minute drive from the valley. This actually was a lot of fun and the drive into the park wasn't bad at all.
I'm still tryning to figure out what this has to do with Venice.
JoeG
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:42 AM
rex
Original Poster

Thanks JoeG... what it has to do with Venice is that when I read about Yosemite lodging on the US forum... there is such a similar tone to questions and answers here, about whether to stay IN Venice - - versus Mestre or other "outside" locations.

Maybe too much of a stretch, to make any such comparison!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Hello Rex. In reply, I cannot compare valley lodgings to El Portal lodgings, as I have never been to the latter. I have, however, recently been to Yosemite and you likely will feel Motel Sixish about the Lodge. Perhaps you can see if one of the Ahwanee suites or cottages could more economically accomodate more of your family.

Although a bit further from the valley floor than the Wawona, you may also look into the Tenaya Lodge, just outside the South entrance of the park.
It may be slightly more affordable than the Ahwanee, and I understand it is quite nice.

As an aside, since you'll be in the neighborhood, don't miss the opportunity to visit Relais & Chateau's Chateau du Sureau in Oakhurst, just over 1 hour from the valley floor (www.chateaudusureau.com). It is an extraordinary property and you can have dinner (or arrange a picnic lunch) in their dining room, Erna's Eldeberry House.

Congrats on your daughter's upcoming graduation!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:14 AM

My advice is to stay in the Valley. Moonlight walks, and watching the morning sun rise over the granite cliffs make it worth it. In May the falls will be full and every room I've ever stayed in has interestingly had a view of the Falls from at least one window.

There are so many different lodging choices through the park, from tent cabins to cabins without baths to hotel like rooms. You should be able to find something in your price range that fits your needs. Consider lunch at the Ahwanee as a less expensive way to enjoy the beautiful dining room.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:22 AM
rex
Original Poster

"Moonlight walks, and watching the morning sun rise over the granite cliffs make it worth it. In May the falls will be full and every room I've ever stayed in has interestingly had a view of the Falls from at least one window."

Oh stop it, grasshopper! This is EXACTLY what I remember from 1981, and I know that we are not going to be able to relive that.

I just called Yosemite central rez, and I think that the chances of finding what we will need are slim and none. I don't think my MIL could deal with tents at Curry... and the Ahwanee is SO ouch!

The input from tripadvisor.com is all over the map on Cedar Lodge; makes me lean back towards the Tenaya or private homes in the Wawona area.

Europe seems easier than this!

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:28 AM
cd

Hi Rex
We stayed at the Yosemite Lodge last spring and loved the location! Yosemite Falls could be seen from outside our room! However, it does compare with a Motel 6. The plus is that it was exceptionally clean. The minus was there is NO TV or music and in the evening after a day of walking and a good dinner and a hot shower, I need to curl up with a book and music or a movie. SO, if this is important to you, take along a boom box and some CD's. Also, in the restaurant, right beside the lodge, you can make reservations for window table and you will be able to dine while looking at Yosemite Falls. We did eat one dinner at Ahwanee, the food was good and the view great (go before it gets dark)Right beside Yosemite Lodge is a store that you can buy pre-made sandwiches and wine if you want something for a picnic. They also have a cafe where you can have breakfast. We enjoyed being on the Valley Floor and just walking out our door into beauty. We took a drive to the Maraposa Grove and absolutely loved the Redwoods! They are huge! To acually walk thru a tree and know that a small car could drive thru was one of my favorite things we did in Yosemite. There are no coffee makers at the lodge if that cup of coffee first thing is important, but the cafe was just a few minutes walk from our room.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Rex,

Another option - unless you must have a hotel - is to rent a home in the Yosemite West area, which is about a 20 minute drive from the Valley, and technically "inside" the park.

You would be much closer than Wawona. We stayed there 3 years ago and are returning this summer. We rented from Yosemite 4 Seasons (www.yosemitelodging.com). They have a wide variety of properties. Our house was quite nice, and in a secluded forested area. (No granite cliffs and waterfalls however).
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:00 AM
rex
Original Poster

Actually, Foresta is looking better and better to me - - even closer than the homes of Yosemite West. And it appears that they DO have availability when we need it. Afraid to even type this, for fear of jinxing it!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Most folks who love Yosemite love it for the surroundings and scenery - NOT for the accomodations. To stay outside of the valley to have a little bit better room makes absolutely no sense to me. The magic of Yosemite Valley is being in the Valley - not the long drive in.

To give you a European analogy - would you rather stay in a decent 2 star place with an amazing view of the Grand Canal or in a 4 star place 45 minutes outside of Venice???

Besides - there are very few "4 star" places within a reasonable drive of Yosemite Valley.

But the whole question may be moot - there may not be any rooms avalaible at the lodge - especially if the dates are anywhere near Mem. Day Weekend.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Rex,
Since at this late date your chances of getting into Yosemite Lodge are slim, I'd recommend Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. I don't know where you heard about traffic jams, but we stayed there for a week and always made it into Yosemite Valley (12 miles away) in about 20 minutes.
The Yosemite View Lodge is actually closer to the valley than most of the lodging within the park.
It's actually the closest accommodations outside the park, and it's close enough that you can avail yourself of moonlight walks and other evening park activities.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:31 AM
rex
Original Poster

These last two posts are the most "spot on" of all. Of course, I would rather be in a 2* place on the Grand Canal - - but as you point out, the Yosemite Lodge (which might be 1*) - - is apparently going to be moot. It's the Thu-Fri 10 days BEFORE Memorial Day - - but it might as well be the holiday itself. I just don't see myself getting in there.

More and more, going to come down to El Portal versus Foresta.

I think I misread traffic/driving estimates from Big Oak Flat, nd confused them with Arch Rock.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Rex, your decision really isn't between staying on the canal and away from the canal. The canal view (i.e., Yosemite Lodge) probably isn't an option at this late date!
Believe me, we didn't feel that much out of it staying outside the park. As I previously said, the Yosemite View Lodge is closer to the action than most of the in-park facilities!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Hi,
I live in Fresno. For me it's one hour to the entrance of Yosemite and about 45 minutes from the entrance to the valley floor. Staying on the floor has much more atmosphere than anywhere else. The accomodations are not the best but you must take into account where you are .
Usually if you are persistant you can find a room on the floor at the Lodge . At 6 pm everyday they start on a waiting list and I have never seen anyone not get a room.
There's more a sense of community when you stay on the floor.
Good luck.
==Mike
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Rex, If you see someone with a mai tai in his hand it might be me. My wife and I are spending the week before Memorial Day in Gold Country, Yosemite and Kings Canyon Sequoia.

Man do you believe the prices of some of those places, especially the Ahwanee, which a friend of mine told me recently wasn't up to its former glory when he and his wife visited. Good luck.

No Europe until Christmastime for us, and then we are undecided as to where we want to go.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Hi Rex, look at
http://www.yosemitesincline.com/

My friends stayed here and rave about how wonderful it is.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:25 PM

Rex, Do yourself a huge favor and post this on the US Board requesting help from Utahtea... she's the Ysemite expert! Good luck! lso, my tip is, go to the Awahnee for afternoon tea, or cocktails to soak up the beautiful view and atmosphere, but NOT for dinner. The food is usually at best, fair.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Stay in the valley itself is you still can get reservations. Have Sunday brunch at the Ahwanee, which is very nice, all you can eat buffet, and not excessively priced. The ress code is moreover more casual than for evening meals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -