AT&T cell phone use

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM
dmlove

AT&T cell phone use

My husband, daughter and I are all traveling together for 8 days in Egypt, then will split up for 4 days (we'll be in Madrid, he and some others will still be in Egypt). We will have our regular US AT&T cell phones with us, enabled for international roaming. We know the per-minute charge is high, but we intend to use them for about 5 minutes total, to call or text when we each arrive at our respective "alternate" destinations, and to text.

So, our local phone numbers here all have a (650) area code. How do we call each other, from , e.g., Spain to Egypt, or even when we're both in London, but not together. Do we just dial 011 and then the (1)(650) number? Or do we have to add something else because we're in other countries? (We've used these phones before to an Italian cell phone number from Prague, which worked fine - I'm just confused by the fact that these are both US numbers)

Thanks much.

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll be calling to the "U.S." (even though it moved somewhere else). So you'll dial the international prefix, America, area code, number:

00 1 650 xxx yyyy

On Motorola phones, you can press and hold "0" then 650...
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
dmlove

Thank you. One followup - the international prefix - from here, we dial 011. Is the prefix different when dialing from elsewhere?

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Yes - 011 is the international prefix used from the US and Canada, 00 everywhere else.

Note that if someone in the US wants to ring your phone in Madrid, they'll just dial 1 650... as if you were here. 011 is only used to dial another country (which they might want to do if your cell croaks and they want to call your hotel).
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 09:55 AM
dmlove

Thanks!

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM

>Note that if someone in the US wants to ring your phone in Madrid, they'll just dial 1 650... as if you were here.>

Don't we simply dial the area code, no '1', to a US mobile in Europe? I never dial the '1' here in the US when using my mobile, and when I have anyone call my (ATT) phone in Europe, they too just dial my number. As though I were at home...
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM
dmlove

One more followup (dummy) question: if I press and hold the "0" when I'm in the US, it automatically does "011" (the international dialing code from the US). If I press and hold "0" when I'm in Spain, for example, will it automatically do "00"?

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM

With a gsm phone, the + sign stands in for the international prefix no matter where you are....

Thusif you were calling the number 1 212 555 1212 from Europe on a gsm mobile phone, you could dial 001 212 555 1212 or +1 212 555 1212. To activate the +, different phone models handle it differently. Most Nokia phones, you press down the * key twice quickly and you get +..on most Sony Ericsson phones, you hold down 0 to get +.

It also works the other way. To call a cell phone number in the UK, say (a made up nunmber) 07854812307, you would dial 011 44 7854812307 (44 being the country code for the UK and as with most European number, the lead zero tells the local switching equipment it is a domestic call, hence it is not dial on an international call)..or you could dial +44 7854812307...

Adding the + sign to numbers in my phonebook does not do any damage for making domestic calls in the US; hence I store all my US numbers with the + sign although I almost never use my American phone to roam intrnationally, the rates are total rip offs.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Note that if someone in the US wants to ring your phone in Madrid, they'll just dial 1 650... as if you were here.

I should have said "someone on a landline in the US..."

...the rates are total rip offs.

xyz is always a little over the top. If you're only carrying a phone to Europe for emergencies or to send a few texts, paying international roaming rates is cheaper (and easier than screwing around with a local SIM).

AT&T is $1.29
T-Mobile is 99¢
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 11:37 AM
dmlove

AT&T is $1.29

Thanks all. The rate above is correct for Spain and Egypt, but its $2.49 from Egypt. I think we'll keep the phones off while we're there! Fortunately, texts are only $.50 regardless of location.

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 11:37 AM
dmlove

I meant Spain and the UK.

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM

We text each other to tell the other when to be at the computer to receive a Skype call.

That way, Mme. and her sister's two-hour gabfests cost 35¢ (the T-Mo SMS rate)
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM

And you, my good friend Robespierre, don't think the rates are one big rip off.

But I do agree with you...if the phone is just being used for emergencies and a call here or there, it's worthwhile if you're a customer of T Mobile USA or AT&T to use their rip off international roaming rates.

But let me ask the question that nobody ever has an answer for on this matter.

Both T Mobile USA and T Mobile UK are fully owned subsidiaries of Deutschs Telecom. Ultimately their profits go onto DT's ledger sheet.

So...when you use your T Mobile USA to roam on T Mobile UK, in theory the outraageously high rate of 99/minute is to reimburse T MO UK for using their network right. So isn't it really asking me to pay for them transferring money from their left pocket to their right pocket?

We all know reasonable international rates should be in the vicinity of 34/minute...it is one hell of a rip off, you know it and I know it.

But many people just don't realize how easy it is to deal with local sim cards or international sim cards for a multi country trip.

So I ask you, Robespierre, if you were going to the UK, and wanted to make calls back to the USA, would it be such a hardship to acquirea T Mobile UK sim card to get free reception of calls in the UK and to make calls fromthe UK to the USA for 3p/minute. Am I suggesting something akin to brain surgery? Buy the sim card, get the phone unlocked, take one sim card out and put the new sim card in...took me the last time I did it about 8.3 seconds!
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM

That's about the 78th time (not an actual count) that you've asked that question about Deutsche Telekom. Maybe the answer lies deep in some EU bureaucracy in Brussels.

But yes, the T-Mo SIM is a helluva deal - if you're going only to the UK (which OP is not). That's why I post http://www.t-mobilesimgiveaway.co.uk...d=ON-TM-W-Home here and there.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM

Now would be a good time to speak about Vodafone Reiseversprechen (Passport). Perfect for Egypt and Spain and...
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Actually, I checked...it's been only 73 times......and you know something, if I were going both to the UK and anyplace else, I would still use the T Mobile UK card in the UK and then rely on something else for the rest of the trip.

All I said was the T Mobile USA (and AT&T) international roaming rates are rip offs...I have also said in the past if the phone is just for emergencies, it is probably the easiest solution so we agree on that.

Do you think 99/minute (or $1.29) tomake and receive calls is one big rip off?
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I'm guessing, but shouldn't our use of thousands of cell towers and computers and network interconnects and switching stations and personnel cost something in that range?

I don't know - I've never run a budget for a multibillion-dollar multinational corporate behemoth. Deutsche Telekom is so big, it has two stops on five S-Bahn lines.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM

>has two stops on five S-Bahn lines.
Well , they told me I'd recieve 200€ for free, if they can call 4 times and ask some questions. Of course I agreed (who wouldn't?) but in the end they only paid 150€ and said the programme had ended.

O.K they included a 512kb USB stick (only 512!!) with the company logo...

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM

DSL 16000 is working flawlessly too, at 20€ flat rate per month.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM

I may be confused when reading your question, but I have AT&T and so have my sons. A few months ago we all took our cell phones. I was in Paris, they were in Amsterdam, we later met in Spain.

We communicated mostly by text message, a few times with actual calls. All I did was go to my favorites, click on their name and that's it. Same thing for text messages. I never dialed a country number, etc. They did the same, never had a problem.