Search

Assisi Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Stacey

Assisi Hotels

I haven't seen any recent postings on the Hotel Subasio in Assisi. Any comments and tips on that hotel or others in Assisi? I'll be there in September.<BR>Thank you.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Mills

Best hotel to stay in Assisi is the Hotel Umbra.It does have a web site, maybe someone can help on this posting?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Holly

http://www.italyhotel.com/it/assisi/umbra/

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Stacey

I've contacted Hotel Umbra, but haven't heard if they have availibility yet for the dates I need. If Hotel Umbra is booked, is Hotel Subasio a good second choice? Anyone stayed there? Thanks!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Molly

I stayed in Assisi May 12, for 2 nights, and made the mistake of staying at the Hotel Giotto. Do not stay there - the place was depressing. Sadly, I got the idea from someone here on Fodors site. Even thought the view was nice, the lounge was always empty, the staff was permanently indifferent(never a smile) and not very helpful. The breakfast was poor quality (pre-packaged sweets, etc.) The only other guests we saw were from a tour bus. The rooms were rundown and dingy. We were at the end of town (near the bascilica of St. Francis) as is the Hotel Subasio. The Subasio had scaffolding over most of the exterior. I did not go inside or see rooms, so I cannot comment on that. The Santa Chiara end of town seemed nicer with better restaurants and atmosphere. I saw the Umbra in that area and wished we had stayed there. Sounds like the Umbra is a solid recommendation.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Molly

Ooops I forgot, most importantly, Assisi itself was simply beautiful. The bascilica's were one of the highlights of our trip. You will love it!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Helen Donegan

Funny how you hear so many different opinions about the same hotel!<BR><BR>The Hotel Umbra is generally very popular - especially if you have a room with a view. It is the view that is the most important thing in Assisi I think.<BR>The Umbra had scaffolding around it until ver recently.<BR><BR>The hotel Giotto has two distinct parts - one has been renovated and the rooms are lovely, again the view is out of this world. They used to have a roof-top restaurant which was much better - I wouldn't advise eating there. I had breakfast with some guest recently and thought it was ok, standard really. The girl at the reception was very helpful when my friends needed information. The bat has a lovely terrace to sit out on in the evening.<BR><BR>The Hotel Subasio seems lovely, the scaffolding is at the street side and shouldn't affect the views. It is close to the Bascilica of St Francis but you have a good walk to the centre of town where it is lovely to sit in the evening. I have heard many good reports about it.<BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Steve

Stayed at Hotel San Rufino in Assisi this past October. It was perfectly located and reasonably-priced. Our entire Assisi visit was the highlight of almost 3 weeks in Italy, so we definitely plan to return one of these days.<BR>Enjoy your trip! http://www.venere.it/it/assisi/sanrufino/

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Marija

The Subasio room we stayed in was huge, with three balconies, but definitely in need of "updating." The views were spectacular. The location next to the Basilica was a bit of a walk into the town center. I wouldn't mind staying there again. It certainly had character.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Rosemarie the Rightious

I have posted on this before. We stayed at La Fortessa in 2000. Centrally located...if you have a car you must park it several "blocks" away so we unloaded what we needed and I stayed with the luggage while my husband parked. LOTS of stairs but a friendly family owned and run Restaurant and hotel. We had a terrace. Great food. The Restaurant is up a stairway from the street and the hotel up more stairs from there.They have a website or did.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 03:49 AM
Rex

I can strongly recommend the Hotel Fontebella in Assisi.<BR><BR>I've stayed at Umbra also. Both are good. Fontebella is slightly better. A person COULD argue that Umbra is a "better" location.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:18 PM
up

topping<BR>