Search

Artus Hotel (Paris)?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
meo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Artus Hotel (Paris)?

We've read some great reviews of the Artus Hotel in Paris, and love the idea of having a room with a balcony (they have a Junior Suite with a balcony). We also read one fairly negative review that our travel agent provided, but it was a couple of years old. Does anyone know if the rennovations at the Artus have been completed successfully? Any other suggestions for a hotel in the same neighborhood that isn't fussy and leans toward modern decor? We'd be willing to spend up to about 400 Euros/night, but would love to get a better deal. My husband really wants a balcony. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:34 PM

I've seen that hotel, and know the street, of course (rue de Buci) and just wanted to advise that I can't imagine how a balcony in that location is going to be very desirable. The street is very narrow and busy and noisy, and the balcony isn't going to be a great view or anything. They can be on some grander boulevard or some area not so congested, but I wouldn't give that any weight in a decision for that location.

If you really want a balcony, I personally would stay elsewhere. I wouldn't even want to stay on that street as it's too narrow and crowded, but if you have a room in back maybe it doesn't matter. But maybe some people would love the idea of looking over rue de Buci from a very high floor, and your husband may be one of them, I just don't think the view is anything special there. That's probably on the 6th floor or so.

This is a modern hotel in the general area, near St Germain metro stop, but I don't know if it has balconies.
http://www.hotel-bel-ami.com

I might be in your budget in low season, but not a suite. When are you going, that really affect the rates. July-Aug would probably be low season rates. YOu can get a superior/deluxe room in that price range at the Pont Royal, which isn't far away in the 7th. That hotel isn't super sleek/modern, but not traditional or frou-frou. Some of their suites do have balconies, but I don't think that's in your price range.
http://www.hotel-pont-royal.com

The Montalembert is near the Pont Royal and has some contemporary rooms, but the suites would be over your budget.
http://www.montalembert.com

The K&K Cayre is right on the border of the 6th and 7th with modern rooms in your price range. They do have some with balconies, you can see that from the outside facade photo
http://www.kkhotels.com

well, those are the only ones I can think of that are more modern although I know they aren't exactly the location of the Artus. The Hotel Madison has most of what you want, in your price range, and balconies, but it's not exactly modern. It's not super-fussy, though:
http://www.hotel-madison.com/

maybe someone else has some better ideas or can think of something else
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:52 PM
meo
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the detailed info, Christina. We'll look into your suggestions! We will be going in September.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
tpl

I haven't been since the completion of the remodel, but the balcony of the junior suite was small but very nice. Friends that stayed in the Bel Ami didn't care for it, and they are fans of modern design.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
meo
Original Poster

Thanks for the comment on the balcony! Do you recommend the Artus and its location?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM

Some friends who used to love the Artus were not enamored of the new version and went elsewhere, although not to a "modern" hotel. Have you looked at La Villa? Don't know if there are balconies though.

http://www.villa-saintgermain.com/default.htm
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
tpl

The location of the Artus is excellent, on one of Paris' best shopping and eating streets. It's close to everything, and has several metro stops very close by, with lines in many directions. As I said, I haven't been since the remodel, but stayed there at least a dozen times before that, and enjoyed it every time. I have seen or stayed in all of the rooms pre-remodel, and thought even the least expensive were thoughtfully designed and quiet. The suite and duplex were wonderful, and I think they both had adjustable beds that were extremely comfortable.

Can anyone describe what was changed in the remodel and why someone might prefer the old design?
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:19 AM

I know this is an old string, but in case anyone is looking up this hotel/area again I wanted to say that out of the dozen or times I've been to Paris the Rue de Buci was my favorite area to stay! It has OH-SO-MUCH character, and a very central location too. You can walk to most of the major sites. Great market, great food, great bars/cafes, great shops surround you there. Yes, it IS a noisy street, but our rooms (as many modern hotels do) had windows that, when closed, pretty much nixed all the street noise...than when you wanted all that city "Atmosphere", "Voila"....just open the windows!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM

I've been staying in that neighborhood, almost annually, since the early 80s...a few steps away at the Hotel de Seine for over a decade. And I also can't imagine how a balcony would be desirable in that neighborhood as you will be staring at buildings very close to you...if the balcony is on the back. I don't remember seeing any on the front.

I also can't even begin to believe how the prices have been hiked up so ridiculously. That used to be the Hotel Buci and was $15.00 a night back in the day. There's only so much space, so I'm sure the rooms haven't gotten much bigger.

When the hotel de Seine renovated, new paint and a toilet put in the bathroom...it was the same clostophobic size, but went from $50. to around $125. So, expect space or great balcony views just because you're paying a lot.

I moved out of the Hotel de Seine ,after the renovations, and tried two other nearby hotels. As far as modern, I can't remember off of the top of my head other modern hotels in that area....except one that I think is called Ville or something like that.

The area is great, but I don't think there are a lot of modern decor hotels. I've seen a LOT of hotels in that area.

However, if you decide on not having to have modern, then the hotel that I moved to is nice and has a great location on a square.

Hotel Clement
6, rue Clement
Tel.0033.1.43.26.53.60
www.hotel-clement.fr

I always get a room on a high floor and facing the street. The back-facing rooms are not good.

I think there might be one room, at the very top with a balcony. In the brochure photo of the place, it looks like there's a balcony.
The location is a 5-minute walk from the Artus. It's one block south of Blvd. St. Germain and a half a block west of rue de Seine. It's a few steps from metro Line 10 and very close to metro Line 4...plus lots of buses and a taxi stand nearby. Hope this has helped. Great area and a lot quieter than rue Buci.

For as much money as you're paying, why not just rent an apartment? Right around the corner, on the lovely Place Furstemburg, you could rent an apartment or any other place in that neighborhood and for a LOT less. I had a really nice apartment in that neighborhood, just in the spring, and for about $1200. for a week. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 01:20 PM
newmanparker

I was recommended the D'Abusson... looks great...... nice romance package

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM

correction...I meant to type..."Don't expect space or great balcony views just because you're paying a lot". Happy Travels!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM

I think it is the former Buci Latin. Have a friend who swears by it.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Gretchen...Before it was the Buci Latin, it was Hotel Buci...back in the day.
Now,there might have been some other name between when it was Hotel Buci and Buci Latin, but I believe it went directly from Hotel Buci to Buci Latin. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:35 AM

Actually it went from the Buci Latin to the Artus. It is confusing as there is also a Hotel de Buci, about 100 yards down the same street. It is still considered a very nice choice, and as other have stated an incomparable location
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Sam17..Thanks. After I posted, I started to wonder if there were two hotels in the same block...Buci Latin/Arthus and then Hotel de Buci. It's SUCH a short block.
Now, I don't remember what Hotel Arthus was before it was Buci Latin. It's been over 35 years for me in that neighborhood and it's starting to all blur together.

But, most of those hotels in that area were the $15. hotels in the day, including the Louisiana and Hotel Welcome where I stayed for years after leaving Hotel de Seine after the renovation and BIG price increase. Smiles.

The big renovations started in the late 80s and early 90s and the immediate area just hiked astronomically in price thus prices many of us out which is why I eventually moved to the Hotel Clement. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM

correction..."pricing". Happy Travels!