Artist workshops

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 07:53 PM
margi

Artist workshops

As soon as Christmas is over I'm going to start planning a three month trip to the UK and Europe. I'm keen to participate in art workshops for a few days at a time. Could anyone recommend any. I work in pastels, acrylics, colored pencils and enjoy landscapes, portraits and animals. I'll be on a limited budget, particularly as I've offered to take my mother-in-law, so the cost factor of workshops will be a big consideration.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Gigi

Hi, Margi
I had a thread on this topic a few months ago. I tried to search function and couldn't find it. I have a few notes on it, however, and will send them to you in an email.
I am hoping to attend an oil or acrylic seminar in Italy on of these years. Couldn't be more fun, aye? At some of the workshops in Italy, you stay at a home and meet every morning for a paint session. They also organized day trips into Sienna and Florence.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Gigi

Here's an url to get you started:http://navigation.helper.realnames.c...2&uid=17365630

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Gigi

http://navigation.helper.realnames.c...2&uid=17365630
This should take you to the Shaw Guide Workshops. They offer classes in Europe. I've heard good things about this company. You may have to ask for references about a particular school or instructor. Good luck

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:16 PM
margi

Thankyou Gigi, I appreciate your advice and will check that out.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 08:10 PM
Gail

Hi Margi and Gigi - another good resource for workshops is "International Artist" magazine. They advertise www.paintingworkshops.net. What a beautiful, informative magazine, too!

A few weeks ago in Sorrento, I ran into a workshop group painting at the harbor. I talked to one of the participants and she said there were 18 people in her group! She felt it was too many - just a thought when you start looking. I would definitely ask for the names of past participants and get in touch with them for reference purposes.

I have had the same interest and am organizing a workshop in Tuscany for a group of my friends - a dream for me.

Good luck....

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:32 PM
margi

Thank you Gail, I do know that magazine and I look at their web site often. I've made contact with someone in the UK about a coloured pencil workshop in Nottingham next July. Ideally I'd like a workshop that is only for two to 5 days at the most. As it's my first trip overseas I'd like to spend as much time as possible travelling. Thanks again.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:28 PM
anon

Margi, did you ever go? what is your story?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:22 AM
jw

Hi, I'm interested as well. I'll just mention that there's a watercolor workshop given sometime during the year at the Hotel Panorama in Gerra Gambarogno on Lago Maggiore. (I've raved about this 2-star at other threads.) Anyway, I don't recall when it is, but I saw some of the work of the artist who teaches the workshop, and her work is beautiful. J. I'm not familiar with the magazine someone mentioned; I'm going to check it out.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:25 AM
jw

Well silly moi, I'm an artist w/MFA and 28 years teaching experience. Why don't I give my own. Now I've just got to figure out how to go about it. J.