Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving in London in 2 days. Need advise on clothes for weather for the next 10 days.

Search

Arriving in London in 2 days. Need advise on clothes for weather for the next 10 days.

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I've been checking London weather forecast for the next 10 days and it looks as if the temps. should be mid-sixties. Can I get away with short sleeves or do I need a sweater during the day? I know the nights are cool and I'm prepared for that. Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Bootman4U

I am sorry but what would you wear here or in a humid climate when it is in the 60's? I would think the same might apply to London. I'm leaving for Menaggio and Paris this Friday and have been checking the weather on Yahoo so know how you feel...I'm doing my usual contingency of taking along a light sweatshirt as well as a windbreaker..layers in other words.
Hope things work out for you.

Old May 13th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Val

If you have visited anywhere in England before you will know we can experience all four seasons in the space of an hour. Come prepared for anything, at the moment it is quite cold and rainy.
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:27 AM

Take a sweater and some kind of coat/jacket. We were there last month, experienced weather ranging from brief snow flurries one a.m. to 80 degree temps later during our visit and a full range of everything in between. We actually went out in short sleeves many days but there were a few where a winter coat would have fit the bill. Be prepared for everything and anything when you travel is my motto. Remember if it gets sweltering hot (unlikely, but possible) you can always buy a couple of short sleeve tops, but if it gets really cold you are not apt to find any jackets in the stores this time of year.
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Sylvia

All together now:

The answer is layers. I'd take the short-sleeved blouses but I'd also take some jackets, a few jumpers (sweaters US) and a short raincoat (Burberry weight). The weather in the UK can be beautiful in May but you just never know.

Old May 13th, 2003, 08:15 AM

layers, layers, layers

A lot of public spaces aren't air-conditioned (or have uneven heating), so you can find some places to be swelteringly hot and humid (including the Tube, theatres and some restaurants). But you can't count on hot weather.

Last year when I lived in London, I found that from Sept-Dec and February-June, it never really felt hot or cold (I'm from Canada, where the temperature typically varies between -15C and +32.) In London, I could get away with a long-sleeved shirt/cotton sweater and a spring jacket (e.g. raincoat) or leather jacket almost every day. The central portion of London retains a lot of heat, even through the winter, so you might find that when you're surrounded by buildings and roads, the surrounding temperature is fairly warm - but the parks and open spaces are cool.

Dressing up to go out (especially to the theatre) is particularly challenging, because you probably have a favourite outfit, and it isn't likely to be an all-weather convertible number. I found that for London (and travelling in Europe generally), twin sets (cotton or silk) quite handy both for daytime sightseeing and dressing up to go out in the evening. If it's cool, you've got the tank top or tshirt, cardigan and jacket/coat. If it gets really hot, you can strip down to the tank/tshirt, plus assorted other combinations - but you still look presentable.