Arriving in Beaune...car?

Mar 4th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Arriving in Beaune...car?

Hello. We are a large group (11 people) planning our trip to Burgundy this summer. We are arriving in Beaune at 7 pm by train from Paris and staying at the Hotel de la Paix. I am under the impression that the hotel is within walking distance to the train station but I want to be sure of that. We will need a car the following day to travel to Macon. I have gotten a quote from Eurocar but I was wondering if there is another rental company that is close to the hotel?
Mar 4th, 2008, 05:03 AM

There are two Avis locations, one at the gare and one at 4bis rue Jules Ferry.
http://www.avis.co.uk/CarHire/Europe/France/Beaune
Mar 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Do you know if the train is within walking distance of the hotel?
Mar 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Haven't been but Google map implies about .8 kilometer, that's around 10-15 minutes maybe. I'd do it with a rolling bag.
Mar 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM

It took us about 10 mins to walk from the station to the Paix.

Some of the car rental places are not close to the train station.

Stu Dudley
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Another question if you don't mind. Is the only way to Beaune from Paris by train through Dijon? I thought there was one train a day that was direct but I don't see it on the schedule for the day I am traveling.
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:07 AM

The train to Dijon is a TGV. The train from Dijon to Beaune is a local train that stops in some of the winegrowing villages.

Check train schedules here
http://www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Stu Dudley
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu for the info. I was hoping you could give me some more advice. We were planning on renting a car the day after we got to Beaune to visit family a bit south. Since we must go through Dijon should we just rent the car in Dijon and drive from Dijon to Beaune and have the car already. Issue #2 we were planning on driving back to Paris and dropping the car at the airport (CDG). But then I wondered whether we should return the car to Beaune (or Dijon) and take the train back into Paris. But then how difficult is it to get from the train station to CDG?
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:36 AM

1. Beaune is a much easier city to navigate in than Dijon. However, if you are planning on renting a large car, there might be more cars available in Dijon than Beaune. Check with www.AutoEurope.com to find out availability of large cars.

I don't know what 11 train tickets from Dijon to Beaune cost. How would you get 11 people in 1 car anywhay????

2. There is an early train from Dijon directly to CDG. We've taken it several times.
weekdays lv 6:32 ar 8:21
weekends lv 7:44 ar 9:33

There is also a very early train from Beaune to Dijon then to CDG. We've done that also.
weekdays lv 5:55 ar 8:21
weekends lv 7:05 ar 9:33

Dijon is a very efficient station. However, if you pick up a car in Beaune & return it in Dijon - the return parking lot is hard to find - especially at 6 in the am before the rental places open & you've never been there before.

If you pick up a car in Beaune your first morning, & return it in Beaune the day before your departure, you'll probably save 1 day's rental.

Stu Dudley

Mar 4th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu. I think I would like to return the car in Beaune and then take the direct train to CDG. I am glad I asked you. You are very helpful! I know we could never fit everyone in one car...especially since they seem to run pretty small. I think we are going to rent 3 cars. Thanks again!
Apr 6th, 2008, 04:11 AM

Hi, I realize your note was posted several weeks ago, but I just saw it. In any event, I have both taken the train from Dijon and rented a car in Dijon for getting to Beaune. Dijon is not that difficult a city to get out of...I have ridden my bicycle from Dijon to Beaune on many occasions. There is a car rental agency right around the corner from the station in Dijon...I think AutoEurope...and once you are out of town the going is very easy and scenic. You'll pass through some of the best vineyards in the world, including Chambertin, and Vosne Romanee. My e-mail address is shown by my name and if you send me a note I could send you a route with text explanations and maps. Ciao.