Around Nuremberg

Search

Around Nuremberg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around Nuremberg

I have to attend a business trade show at Nuremberg from 30th March to 2nd April this year. Will be flying into Frankfurt. Some questions that spring to mind:

1. What is the best way to get from Frankfurt to Nuremberg (and cheapest)? Should I take a flight, or are there convenient trains ? How long is the journey by train ?
2. Some must-see things in Nuremberg ? I will probably have half a day free on Sunday (29th March), and most evenings free. Anything specific that you people can recommend ?
3. I hope to be completely free on Friday & Saturday i.e. 3rd & 4th April. Any suggestions on good day-trips for those days ?

Thanking you in advance.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM
yk

<i>1. What is the best way to get from Frankfurt to Nuremberg (and cheapest)? Should I take a flight, or are there convenient trains ? How long is the journey by train ?</i>

Taking the train is the easiest. You can catch a train from the Frankfurt airport if you're flying directly from the US. Or if you're already in Frankfurt, there are many direct trains (under 2 hours).

<i>2. Some must-see things in Nuremberg ? I will probably have half a day free on Sunday (29th March), and most evenings free. Anything specific that you people can recommend ?</i>

The castle, Albert Durer house/museum, St. Lorenz Kirche (with a famous woodcarve work by Veit Stoss), Hauptmarkt (the main market), Schoner Brunnen (fountain), Neues Museum (Museum of Contemporary Art), Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Tr&ouml;delmarkt.

The museums are open late on certain days of the week.

<i>3. I hope to be completely free on Friday &amp; Saturday i.e. 3rd &amp; 4th April. Any suggestions on good day-trips for those days ?</i>

YOu can easily spend another day sightseeing in N&uuml;rnberg if you didn't get a chance to see the all the sights I listed above. Your other day will be perfect for a day trip to Bamberg. It is one of the few medieval towns in Germany that escaped WWII bombing, hence it is very picturesque.

If you are itching to visit another town, you can visit Wurzburg. It has a lovely palace (the Residenz) which is a UNESCO Heritage site.

N&uuml;rnberg is actually a very lovely town, though many people simply choose to skip it or ignore it. I spent a week in 2007 in that area, basing myself in N&uuml;rnberg for 3 days and did day trips to Bamberg and Bayreuth and Wurzburg. Bayreuth is a must-see for Wagner fans.

You can read more about my trip here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34991739
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM

Take the train to Nurnberg - its about 2 hours with no changes required.

Most of the sights in Nurnberg are in the terrific pedestrianized Altstadt, which you can see in a day - just check with the tourist office online;

http://tourismus.nuernberg.de/v04/pu...p;IDS=RlEPBwiZ

As for day trips I would recommend Bamberg, Wurzburg, or Regensburg. Check them out online and see which one suits your interest. They are all less than an hour from Nurnberg by train with no changes required.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is 1-2 hours away with 1-2 changes required for another option.

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. Bamberg sounds great, and so does Rothenburg. Checked out the railway site; Rothenburg ob der Tauber is only 1hr 8 mins away from Nuremberg (although it involves two changes, which don't bother me). Is Rotherburg a better place to visit than Wurzberg or some of the other towns mentioned above ?
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Hi,

There is from memory also a great toy museum in Nuernberg, which I enjoyed a lot.
If you want to see another city, Rothenburg is very touristy and quite expensive, very much a medieval town with a wall around it; Wuerzburg has grand stately buildings and is much more of a city. Both have their charms but I personally don't like touristy that much and find Wuerzburg more interesting (just my opinion).

Lavandula
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Trains from FRA airport go via W&uuml;rzburg, If you're not in a hurry it might be worth a few hours of your time. Look it up.

Rothenburg takes a while because you have to take a regional and then a slow local train, it is not on a main line.

Train schedules at www.bahn.de
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM

We had the same quandry - Wurzburg, Bamberg, or Rothenberg as a day trip from Nuremberg? We ultimately chose Rothenberg based on train schedule and cost - the train to R was leaving within the next 10 minutes and the town was within a zone shared by N so the ticket was cheap. We thoroughly enjoyed our day in R. And the 2 train changes were really easy - just walk across the platform easy.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM

We found a visit to the site of Adolph Hitler's Nurmeberg rallies chilling but also quite interesting. We were on a city tour that took us there.
Photos were displayed. Today I believe it is a park bu the stadium is still there.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM

&quot;Is Rotherburg a better place to visit than Wurzberg or some of the other towns mentioned above ?&quot;

W&uuml;rzburg is my favorite town in Germany. Still, Rothenburg can have the greater tourist impact, especially if you are into photography.

Regensburg and Bamberg are also very scenic and less touristy than Rothenburg if that is a concern to you.

You really can't lose.

Regards, Gary