Search

Arles Monday After Easter

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arles Monday After Easter

Hello,
We are thinking of visiting Arles the Monday after Easter. Couple and two children 10 and 12.

We thought we might go to a bullfight, but not sure.

We're thinking it will be very crowded and are considering driving to Tarascon, parking the car, and taking the train to Arles.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Just curious -- what is it about the Monday after Easter that would make Arles crowded or have bullfights? Is the Monday after Easter a holiday in France, or is it Feria week?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I was in Arles the week after easter once and it was a ghosttown! Was so nice to have such a pretty town to ourselves.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Just a caution about bullfights in case you (or the kids) are squeamish and have read (as I have) that in Arles the bullfights are relatively humane to animals: I read an account by someone who recently attended a bullfight there and was shocked to witness the killing of a bull. If you are concerned about that, you might want to check out the details before you attend.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Monday is the last day of the Easter Feria. According to the Arles tourism web site:

"The Easter Feria opens the bullfighting season in Arles and attracts 500,000 visitors of which 60,000 buy seats for the fights in the arena."

We understand there are non-kill "bullfights" suitable for children. We would definitely confirm that before attending.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Most are non-kill (thank goodness!!)
Check the dates for them.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I was in Arles during Feria last year and it was a mob scene. I did manage to drive in and out of town, but it wasn't easy. I don't know if I'd go so far as to park in another town and take the train in - but I'd certainly be prepared to spend a good long time looking for parking and to walk a good distance from the parking spot to town.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 01:14 AM

Non-kill doesn't necessary mean "not a lot of blood" around here... but in any event, the Feria is known for bringing in the biggest and the best bulls for the bullfights. It's also packed with people coming from everywhere to see the bullfights and reservations really are a must. Monday's program will have corridas beginning at 11 AM and again at 5 PM, so death is on the menu.

PB
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like we probably will do the train instead of hassling with the car. The kids like train rides, anyway.

As to the bullfights, maybe we will skip these. It seems like there will be plenty of other things to do.