Argus Car Hire.com -- anybody used?

Jul 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Argus Car Hire.com -- anybody used?

I'm looking for a car rental in Portugal 10/20-10/23, picking up and returning to Lisbon airport. I searched on travelsupermarket.com which pulled up a rate of 50GBP which translates to $78 for the three days and seems to include CDW, theft protection, free cancellation, and AC for a Ford Fiesta or similar. That just seems incredibly low (and less than half of what Auto Europe charges for its cheapest car). Has anyone positive or negative experience with them?
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM
twk

I used Argus for a rental in 2007 in Scotland and had no problems. They are a consolidator, like AutoEurope. Had no hitches with our rental, so I really can't give you any insight as to how they handle the situation when the rental car company does not want to deliver what you contracted for.
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM

I have not used Argus but I am sure they are fine. If you want a comparison on prices, we have rented cars three times in Portugal. These are the companies we used. You can check them to see how your prices stack up.
Hertz
Carjet which placed us with Budget
Economy Car Rentals which placed us with Sixt.

This is just to give you a price point. Do you know which car company they will place you with?
Jul 16th, 2010, 12:27 AM

Argos are prefectly OK. Don't forget that your October trip is out of season and prices will have fallen from their summer height.
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:08 AM

It's a fine rate and it's perfectly normal out of season. Don't forget that it's not included a zero excess insurance. To have that protection you'll have to hire additional insurance.
Jul 16th, 2010, 07:13 AM

I used Argus on a recent trip to Spain and it all worked out very well. I have booked with them 3 times and have been happy each time.
Jul 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM

i also have used them with no problem..
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied to my question. I was unable to get to a computer since I posted (except to work!)
Sher: no, I don't know which car company and kind of expected that I wouldn't know 'til I actually booked, but maybe that's not the case. The price is so good, I'm not inclined to shop around as long as the company is reputable and noone's had any horrifying experiences with them.
Serbap: what is "zero excess insurance"? Is this the kind of coverage that your credit card normally provides? I seem to have a brain block on understanding CDW -- is that the same thing?
Thanks again.
gail
Feb 21st, 2011, 10:42 PM

Aloha gailw,
Did you rent through Argus Car Rental . . . like you, I am a little skeptical since the rate is low and seems to include the various insurance coverages.
Did you also find out about 'zero excess insurance'?
I would appreciate a quick reply if you used them.
Thank you in advance,
Kolohe76