Area in Madrid we might be staying

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all looking at an apartment Located in Plaza de Las Comendadoras -The location on the border of Malasana and Conde --can you tell me if that is a good neighborhood to be in for safety, quiet yet convenience. I think the quiet is ok as all reviewers said that it is a quiet building with double glazed windows so no noise. It is our first time in Madrid and we do want to see the top sights but will also be doing some day trips as well as going to the Madrid Tennis Open.We will be flying into Madrid, but taking the train when leaving. Not nightlife people older couple tend to eat early and in bed by 10

There is another apartment which states its at the heart of Madrid within walking distance to Gran via Ave --on the map it looks like its near the Chueca metro just a few blocks away-all the reviews say its quiet building as well. I like them both. The first is less expensive so is my preference but not that big of a difference so if the other area is that much better then we would consider it.

thank you!
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 12:24 PM

Last October we stayed in Chueca about 15 minute walk from your area. While I cannot attest to the quality of that block, the neighborhood was generally extremely lively and safe.
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

How convenient was it to the major sights
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 05:18 AM

The Madrid metro system is quite extensive and you are within walking distance of the San Bernado and Tribunal stops.

We have been to Madrid a number of times and we are seniors now and still walk the City.

Chueca is more of the hip and gay area with a lot of night life but that also means terrific restaurants.
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 05:30 AM

You will need to take metro to major sights...
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Is that true for both places? We walk for miles everyday so not afraid to walk 25 mins to the major sights. Looks like no matter what we do we will have to take public transit to the tessis open as itlooks pretty far south of Madrid Centro
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 08:00 AM

YOu can see on a map where they are, so I think that's up to you. The first one is about a mile (1.5 km) from Puerta del Sol, for example. So you could walk to Plaza Mayor and the OPera area/palace if you want. I don't think you'll be wanting to walk all the way to Retiro park or the Prado from there, that is much farther than 25 minutes, but again, that's up to you as to how far you want to walk before then perhaps spending hours walking and standing (eg, if you
were going to the Prado), as that's about 2.5 km away or 1.5 miles.

So if you want to walk that far, sure, it's do-able. The one near Chueca metro is only slightly closer to some things than the other (like the Mercadeo de San Miguel). Of course it's closer to the Prado (1.5 km).

The first location is really closer to the Noviciado stop than San Bernardo, I think, and definitely closer than Tribunal. The Noviciado stop is only 400m away.

If you really like the first one, I think the location will work for you if you don't want to be in the thick of things, you can decide.
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 08:10 AM

I stayed near the San Bernardo metro station and really enjoyed the area. I used the metro, but I was also going to many sights other tourists would skip. (I think Retiro Park is skippable,, but others may differ).

Like Paris and New York, the metro system in qiocl & has excellent coverage of the city and I wouldn't try to pick a place with the idea that it's important to be able to walk to every sight you want to see. You need to mind your valuables, but the only place in Madrid where I was targeted by ne'er do wells was on the streets (near the Prado & Retiro Park), so you need to be mindful walking in the tourist spots.
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 08:13 AM

By the way, if you tend to eat early and go to bed before 10, be aware Spanish restaurants don't start serving until after 9pm. You can put together an early meal is tapas places and other venues, but something you might want to ask both potential landlords is how many places there are nearby where you can eat earlier than 9pm. (Unless you plan to cook all your meals the apartment)
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.. yes we really don't eat late and figured we could do tapas or something light in the apartment at night as we are not big eaters.. tend to eat a good lunch while out and about.
We do not necessarily want to go to all the "touristy" sights but I am sure there are some we will want to see..yes heard about all the pickpockets and one of the reviewers for one an apartment I was looking at (no longer though!) said they were surrounded by a group of kids who followed them into the security door of the building where the apartment was and lost passports and wallet .. so safety is a concern.. we do not plan to carry around our passports or too many valuables.. (cc and some cash in a pocket in my bra) but camera and phone well tough not to carry around so need to carry under my clothing.. it does detract some from the experience though to have to worry about that. we are NYers so used to being careful but who knows.. also concerned about coming home late at night.. there will be two nights when we are at the tennis open near san fermin station . we will be taking the metro if we cannot easily get a taxi and have to walk about 10 mins to the apartment at Plaza De Las Comendadoras, from the plaza de Espana station. I have no idea how safe the area is at night. i did look at it on google maps and it sort of looks ok but lots of graffiti
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 05:17 PM

I too am a native NY'er. Madrid is a piece of cake.
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 08:12 PM

We were just in Madrid this past weekend and carried phones and large cameras around. Felt safe the entire time, even out late after dinner. Enjoy, it is a lovely city!
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Great thank you for that!
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

I think we are going to book it
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 07:57 AM

hmm, well the Plaza Espana area and just a bit north of that is a little dicey, I think, so be careful. I've stayed near there a couple times, but not as far away as you are contemplating. I was closer to Callao metro. I wonder where that area was where people were robbed at their apt building? That apt could be a little closer to Ventura Rodriguez stop, you might consider that. I just remember some unsavory types hanging out in plaza Espana, and that was in broad daylight. But there are certainly worse areas.

Here is safety info and reporting info, one good thing is that there is a police station near plaza Espana.

http://www.gomadrid.com/practic/safety.html
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 10:31 AM

I returned from Madrid today...there a a zillion taxis everywhere at all times.
...not expensive either.
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 11:59 AM

Plaza de las Comendadoras and surrounding is a "little village" into Madrid, currently a quite hípster area. Enjoy it.
Do not miss the Conde Duque Cultural Centre, a huge building that was barracks in the 18th Century.
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

THanks for info on plaza Espana it is only one stop that is closest to the building but still a 7 min walk.. we could get off at a different stop if that would be better for walking.. I just booked the apartment and its one block south of Plaza De Las Comendadoras on Calle de la Palma, # 72-- it sort of looks ok.. hard to know.. I did look via street view for Google maps. I will be trying to get a taxi from the tennis event to the apartment and so many people will also be trying to get taxis and I am not sure what the taxi situation is at the event. I will check out Conde Duque cultural center. thanks everyone!